Home Forum Ask A Member Help needed pulling driveshaft seal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    wetwillie
    Participant

I’d like any tips for removing the driveshaft seal from the lower unit of my ’64 Evinrude 40 Big Twin. I’m trying to avoid damaging the surrounding aluminum machined surfaces. So far, I have soaked the seal/boss interface with Kroil penetrant, removed some of the rubber seal within and tried prying the brass seal case with a screwdriver. It hasn’t budged in the slightest.
      I have considered using a prick punch to crush or separate the brass case from the housing but don’t want to risk damaging the bore.
      Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Willie

chris-p
      Participant

Well a standard seal puller will have it out in a jiffy. Short of that, you should be able to collapse it and pry it out with a screwdriver.

olcah
        Participant

US Member

I used a die grinder on mine to thin the wall against the bore until I could drive/pry/chisel it out. Forget how I got the bearings out of the way so they did not get grinding dust. It was a slow messy job.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

US Member

Those can get stuck in there pretty tight. I use a small pin punch to carefully and slowly roll the seal case away from the bore. Be careful, or you will gouge up the bore.

wetwillie
            Participant

Thanks for the responses. I considered using a die grinder and would stuff a rag down inside the bore to protect the bearing 1st, if I did. I like the idea of using a seal puller. Maybe, I’ll head over to Harbor Freight if I can’t find the last one I got there. I do remember it folding over on itself while trying to remove another stubborn seal. This brings me to the pin punch idea. Definitely a pita but an idea I considered early on. Man do I ever hate removing old seals.
              THANKS again to all who responded.

Mumbles
              Participant

Some carefully placed drilled holes and screws can be used to coax it out if the special tool is unavailable.

Attachments:

RICHARD A. WHITE
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Mumbles, that is the crank shaft seal, he is attempting to pull the drive shaft seal… there is a puller for that, and I have one, but to reproduce it would be insane…. I bought it from Frank R.

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                  classicomctools@gmail.com

Mumbles
                  Participant
                    quote Richard A. White:

Mumbles, that is the crank shaft seal, he is attempting to pull the drive shaft seal… there is a puller for that, and I have one, but to reproduce it would be insane…. I bought it from Frank R.

Dang, now I can’t even read correctly. I’m blaming it on my new progressive specs! :geek:

theodore
                    Participant
                      quote Richard A. White:

Richard, Is that 377565? I am gathering the bits and pieces to make a complete one. It looks like the hardened spiral heads would be the most difficult part to reproduce. ( And not easy to find, either.)

I think its a pretty cool tool. FR didn’t seem to share my enthusiasm.

RICHARD A. WHITE
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

Not sure of the part number, but i got lucky, the part that Frank used and had broken on him, I did a search on Ebay and found one…no hesitation on buying it…..I can look for the part number this evening…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                        classicomctools@gmail.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.