Home Forum Ask A Member Help Please on Lightwin Carb issue?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    seakaye12
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have a 1964 Lightwin Evinrude that I have been having an on-going "hard-time" to get to run well. It’s got 75/80 PSI, all new ignition and a completely gone thru carburetor. New float; all the kit components (boss gasket) etc have been replaced. More than once lol….

What am I missing?

It runs "ok" ….but not the way it should. The rpm’s vary up and down…and it is NOT dropping a cylinder. It won’t idle down like it should. It seems to sometimes run rich…and other times it seems to run lean.

If I hadn’t already replaced the float and needle/seat…..I would suspect that the fuel level in the bowl varies…..but I check and re-check things related to that…and find everything ok. Obviously I am missing something.

Any hints?

Chuck

PS: The carburetor that is on it has the low speed and high speed needles. I know it shouldn’t have that on a 64….. but I can’t see any reason that it would make things worse. If anything…it should make them better?

chris-p
      Participant

I guess the first question is, what carb is on it exactly?

seakaye12
        Participant

It has the original 1964 carburetor but the bowl half was swapped with one from a 1957 3 HP. That’s why it has the two needles.

I originally ran it with the original bowl (fixed jet) and it ran the same with that one. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the fixed jet had been messed up due to improper cleaning which might have enlarged it…

chris-p
          Participant

I wonder if the surging is an air leak.

Check the carb welch plugs, the throttle shaft, the crank seams, things like that?

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nozzle gasket OK? Did it run the same way with the original bowl/fixed high speed jet?

seakaye12
              Participant

I can see no discernible play at the throttle shaft. At one point I dabbed heavy grease around the crankcase joint…no change. The nozzle (boss) gasket is new; the genuine OMC version that comes in the kit 439071.

It did run the same way with the original bowl; I was sooooo sure that replacing the lower half would solve the problem.

I did swap the entire carb with another one…and that made a huge difference…..so I feel that the issue is definitely in the carb somewhere.

PS: It also starts hard. Sometimes requires the choke even when warm; other times it seems essentially flooded.

The Boat House
                Participant

Was removing this plug to clean these
                  passages part of your carb rebuild?
                  Should be a new one in you rebuild kit.

kevinrude
                  Participant

check the throttle cam follower — they sometimes get stuck in the full advance position when you throttle down — grease it up good and make sure that the spring actually pulls the thing back when throttling down

chinewalker
                    Participant

Is the screen between the air horn and the carb mouth? It was explained to me by a 40-year OMC tech that it needs to be there to run properly as it creates a rich condition akin to partial choke.

seakaye12
                      Participant

Yes I did pull the welch plug when I rebuilt. And; the screen is there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.