Help with 65′ Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

Home Forum Ask A Member Help with 65′ Evinrude Fisherman 6HP

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 95 total)

• outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

Just to be sure you have checked everything, swap the condensers and see if the spark moves to the other cylinder.

I’ve seen a lot of spark plug wires measure "open" that still work – usually due to the spark plug connector on the end of the wire being not quite connected right to the wire, but spark voltage usually will jump to it anyway if the gap isn’t too big, but ohmmeter reads open. – same can happen where the other end of the wire goes into the coil.
    Dave

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

true I guess, but indicative that a solid connection has not been secured when connecting up to the HV pin or proper grounding of components.

I scrape away all varnished from metal surfaces and use star lock washers to bite into metal surfaces between electrical components. it keeps them is place and garantes nothing will come loose later one.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

t-bell

Replies: 44
    Topics: 1

@ crosbyman
    Thanks for hanging in with me trying to figure this POS out lol
    Yeah something very weird is going on, and im getting confused ❓ Lol . You say to short the probes together and there shouldn’t be any ohms yet in the videos it’s the opposite and their meters fully pin max ohms as high as they go when they touch? And when you measure plug wires it’s the same, as in it buries the pin fully? And it’s not just the 2 bad coils it’s all 4 giving the exact same reading…. Which can’t be because it was getting spark to the lower piston before and now.

t-bell

As seen in cajuncookone’s second part the meter buries the needle when touched together??
    https://youtu.be/r7A6d8me0Gw

t-bell

And what do you mean by HV pin? High Voltage? As in the pin in the coil the plug wire gets screwed or jammed into?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

A VOM resistance measurement uses the meter’s internal source (battery) of energy to push a voltage across an unknown path of resistance.

If the probes are shorted together the energy transfer from one probe to the other is at maximum value hence…resistance to flow is 0 as in 0 ohms. Anything above 0 ohms is resistance (ohms) & proportional to current flow between the probes . As current flow between the probes goes down resistance increases up to the thousands (Kilo..ohms ) and millions (Mega..ohms)

High voltage pin is the coil’s pointy pin to the plug wire. Some are just points (simple) some a screw points (better) and but either type must contact the metallic wire of the plug cable.

lots of utubes on the subject !!

btw that video is ok … when that Ohms needle goes right side on shorted probes the scale of ohms is actually inverted….the right side is 0 ohms

this is ok the same meter would go left when measuring voltages or current since the scale goes from right (0 volts or amps) o) to left max

confused… used a digital meter ! what you read.. is what you get as per the scale chosen

t-bell

@ Crosbyman
    And by booth clip I imagine you mean inside the spark plug wire boot? And when you say "frame ground" are you referring to touching the black wire that grounds the the coil/frame? Or grounding on a random engine surface?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

engine surfaces (body) which the spark plug also uses as the return path for the spark created in the coils.

t-bell

@Garryintampa

Ahhhh well I suppose that makes a little more sense,my apologies, I thought you might be messing around with me lol, trying to get me to make some absurd spark plug tester and cutting the end off the spark plug to test for spark?

But nonetheless I appreciate the help! the plug wires, boots and clips are brand new and free of cracks

t-bell

Hmmmm well then… VERY MUCH appreciated crosbyman, i have been testing for the wrong number all along 😳 😯 😡 I’m an idiot! (Facepalms) i had a sneaking feeling that was going on! How misleading that is if you don’t know your way around a meter! He said "and it’s buried the needle" so I figured it was pinned all the way! So then when I touch my electrodes to the primary winding wires they pin up all the way too (that is only touching them for a for a Split Second AS I’VE BEEN DOING PREVIOUS) but now after holding them for a few seconds it zeros out to triple zeros, THIS IS WHAT IM LOOKING FOR CORRECT? Although i should be getting a reading of voltage and then 0 ohms when checking secondary windings? although I have a very basic understanding of how the meter and electricity work but im not a professional with it. I knew ohms measure resistance and the meter must checks and pushes voltage but that’s about it lol

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.