Holy Moly…

Home Forum Ask A Member Holy Moly…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• bullie

Replies: 416
    Topics: 57

I picked up 1975 4 hp Evinrude 4506A with a factory manual this morning. I was thinking it was a pretty good deal until I saw how much a fuel pump (the pump is missing from the motor) costs… $114!!! (This is more than I paid for the motor) Isn’t there a Chinese replacement for these? I have a couple of old pumps stashed but I am only batting about .500 on getting them rebuilt and working properly again.

jw-in-dixie

Replies: 371
    Topics: 23

Can’t you use a generic stand-alone pump?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

$20 on eBay … I installed one on my 6r72 works fine will it last I can’t say

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-for- … 3051060149

just get longer mounting bolts

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well, I’m sure you can find a used OEM pump that will work, but you must ensure you have the right one…Just cuz they look alike, doesn’t mean they will work on your engine. There are differences in outlet hose orientation, and there is often a tab on the pump housing that must be pointed "up"…
    I don’t know if I would recommend trying to rebuild a pump that is working though, even though OEM kits are available. Those pumps fly apart, springs/cups go shooting out. Everything must be marked so it will be oriented properly before beginning, would hate to see a good pump rendered useless for no reason…

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

Agree…

but as I wrote a few times I have rebuilt a few and managed to keep parts from flying with just a touch of crazy glue on the spring ends to glue them down and… hold on to the small plastic domes (mushrooms)

the rest is orientation and marking the side of the pump with a Scripto felt pen helps fading memories when restacking the layers with thehelp of 2 long bolts in the mounting holes

as the saying goes … " a small pencil is better than a big memory "

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

a final blow test confirms proper assembly

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.