Home made gaskets

Home Forum Ask A Member Home made gaskets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

Hey all, what do you guys use to make gaskets when you cant find originals? I’ve heard of people using cereal boxes which might be ok for some things, but what about areas such as gear cases and items that are submerged or constantly wet?

mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

You can just use gasket material for underwater items. Virtually every auto manufacturer uses paper gasket material in the cooling system. However, if it is underwater I feel it would be safe to say that on all but the really old stuff there’s usually rubber as a gasket material from the factory.

r-c

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 105
    Topics: 10

I found gasket material at my local ACE Hardware store not to mention about any auto parts store has it. The grayish-blackish color material is better than tan. Both a 1/32" and 1/16" thickness is available and needed. Many under water parts are metal to metal with a sealer. Loc-tite 518 is one or the 3-M window sealer is good too. Clean surfaces well with acetone or similar and don’t tough after cleaning. Leather cutting tools are good for making holes, X-acto knifes, scissors and a box knife does the rest. I have even used a note book hole punch to make holes. For exhaust you need to get a special gasket from the auto parts store with a wire mess in it as that has a material to take the heat, expansion and contraction.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 913
    Topics: 92

Like R.C. said, no one gasket material will do the job for all your motor needs. The selection of the right material for a specific application depends no many factors… joint design, clamping force, operating temperature, operating pressure, fluid compatibility… wow! check here for an idea of what is available

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc … 0&sortBy=1

Joe B

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Here is a collection of comments and recommendations for types of gasket material. To see better, download the picture to your computer, so you can enlarge the comments for better viewing.

shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

Excellent, thanks much folks. I was not aware these materials were available in sheet form, save for cork

melugin

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 260
    Topics: 32

I use Gortex/tm material almost exclusively if I don’t stock a match or one is not readily available. This is a marshmallow-like tape in several dimensions which can be traced along any shape. Stocked by bearing supply companies.

Goman

Replies: 155
    Topics: 38

If your old paper gaskets are still in decent shape you can apply a good gasket sealer to them. I’m using some kind of Permatex hi tac stuff but someone out there should mention something better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.