Home Forum Ask A Member Homemade OMC Starter Junction Box ideas?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

I need to make up up a solenoid junction box and “choke – start” button panel
      for my Cadillac boat, that I can use on my RD-17 Johnson 25 hp, and the
      1957 Evinrude Big Twin I’m working on now.
      I doubt if I’ll find the Junction Box harness with the 5 prong plug that attaches
      to the motor, so I’ll probably have to wire directly to the motor.
      I don’t plan on spending $200 or $300 on Ebay for a junction box, so thought
      I’d just make my own.
      I made a box up just for bench testing last year out of an old electrical fuse box / disconnect,
      but would like to find a smaller box to mount on the transom, and of course, have
      the start – choke button in the front of the boat.
      Just curious what any of you may have used to make up a homemade, tidy, junction box,
      and of course, if it looks like it belongs in a 1950’s boat, all the better!
      Thanks.

Prepare to be boarded!

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see pic if any use you can get 4-6 (16 ga) stranded wire cable from an electrical supply house startingand choking wires draw little current so you have a variety of NORMALLY open switches to mount (automotive horn buttons would do fine)

https://www.amazon.com/MGI-SpeedWare-Momentary-Equipment-Ignition/dp/B084M8HDLB/ref=sr_1_47?dchild=1&keywords=horn+button&qid=1588810322&s=automotive&sr=1-47

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Latching-Button-Mounting-Terminals/dp/B07HGSP3F6/ref=sr_1_145?dchild=1&keywords=push%2Bbutton%2Bswitches&qid=1588810782&sr=8-145&th=1

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Buc – how about something like this Uxcell box? If not this one they makes junction boxes in a wide variety of sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Waterproof-Electric-Junction-140mmx82mmx39mm/dp/B00REFK2IY

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by bobw.
          labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc, how about putting your wiring and solenoid and connections in your battery box. All you need is a small tractor battery. Should be plenty of room in an average size battery box.

dale

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for the replies. I believe I have a couple of switches just like I used on this test station.
              Perhaps I should use something more weather proof though?

I’ll check out the Uxcell boxes. Thanks!

DSCN6916

Prepare to be boarded!

todd281
              Participant

If you have a local computer/hobby supply store [or I suppose you could google it] I have used what is called a ‘project box’ they’re plastic, waterproof, pretty tough, different sizes, and just a few bucks.

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

Buc, how about putting your wiring and solenoid and connections in your battery box. All you need is a small tractor battery. Should be plenty of room in an average size battery box.

dale

Dale, that’s an intriguing idea. I wonder how long a lawn tractor battery would
                  hold up from partial discharge (no generator) and “boating action” on the waves?
                  Probably not as long as a marine starting battery, but maybe okay. ……. heck,
                  I’m lucky if I can get one last three years on my mower.
                  One might want to make sure you have no loose wires inside the battery box,
                  and that the box is vented.

I looked at the Uxcell boxes last night, but from what I’m seeing, if they’re small enough “square”,
                  then they aren’t deep enough for the solenoid.

Will search for computer project boxes…… another good idea. Thanks!

Prepare to be boarded!

opposedtwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Buc,
                    Those j boxes aren‘t that rare. Yeah, they’re expensive on ebay, but what isn’t? You can find them for sale at Tomahawk. I have one i could send your way if needed. Send a picture of the box you’ll need. Also, you can use the 6 and 7 (more?) pin varieties on a 5 pin motor.
                    Scott

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Scott, thanks for the offer, but I’ll probably make up something. The 25 hp
                      RD-17 is wired directly to the motor……. no cord with pins, and
                      the 57 Evinrude has the 5 pin plug on the motor. Whatever I come up
                      with I want it to be flexible to use on whatever I’m running.
                      Just hope there’s a Tomahawk this year!

Prepare to be boarded!

amuller
                      Participant

You can get gray plastic (PVC) boxes at home centers or electrical supply houses. They tend to be deeper than “project boxes.”

Very often there is room for the solenoid under the hood, so you might not need a box at all.

You could use an “Anderson Connector” for the starter wires. These are the things you see on forklift battery chargers and suchlike, but they come in various sizes. Very easy to take the battery away for charging or to avoid theft. Could use something like a 4-pole trailer connector for the choke, kill switch ……

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.