Home Forum Ask A Member How best to sell an old outboard?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sohcfour
    Participant

Hi all –

I own several motors (Mercury Silent 6, Seahorse, Zephyr, Martin 60) and I’ve cycled through several in the past decade. I love these motors for their mechanical ingenuity and different approach to the same basic goal. Sometimes I land on one I love and keep it, sometimes I use them for a couple years and want to move on to something different.

Right now I’m trying to sell a complete and running Martin 60. It’s not perfect but a nice old motor. I’ve listed it on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist, and I’m a bit tired of the interest that I get. People seem to confuse a 70 y/o 6hp motor with a brand new 25hp model in terms of expectations. What I mean is, they’re shopping for my motor because it’s listed at $125, but what they need in terms of their own described use and mechanical ability is a new-in-box fuel injected motor.

I’d really like to see this motor go to someone who either knows them or collects, or at the very least has some *interest* in learning about an old motor. To that end, I’ve had no luck. Case in point, a kicker who said he threw away his old motor because he couldn’t get it to run right. I hate to see a nice complete old motor meet that fate.

Any ideas here? Am I in the wrong sales forums? Is my price too high, too low?

Thanks!

Matt
      Milwaukee, WI

A Hoskins
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I avoid selling anything to non-AOMC members and I consider Facecrack Marketplace and Craig’s List a waste of time regarding these old motors. Contact a local chapter, take your motor to a meet and if you’re wanting a new project, offer to trade rather than sell. I’ve had good results with the classified section of this site. I don’t think shipping motors is a good idea, other members will disagree. I’ll drive half a day for a good transaction.

"Fox News" isn't.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yeah, you will be hard pressed to find a legitimate sales prospect on CL/Facebook. I would recommend ebay, but shipping an outboard is a royal pain and a big expense. I would definitely put the engine on the classified pages here…Be sure to post some good pictures, make sure your location is spelled out, and discuss possible shipping options (or lack there of). You may want to contact the leader of the Martin special interest group here also.

sohcfour
          Participant

Thanks to you both. I wasn’t aware that I could post classified ads here. I’ve created one: https://aomci.org/classifieds/show-ad/?id=180303

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Bring them to the Tomahawk meet next week!

Prepare to be boarded!

chris-p
              Participant

If I had a dollar for every time a potential buyer from online sales asked me what the warranty period was……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.