How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work?

Home Forum Ask A Member How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work?

This topic contains 215 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Avatar joesnuffy 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 216 total)
    garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3072
    Topics: 30

greg-o

Replies: 32
    Topics: 5

I put one of those in a old John Deere chain saw I have. It worked great. No more cleaning and adjusting the points. But have never tried it on an outboard motor. But I agree with the previous post. As engine rpm increases, so does voltage.

debe

Replies: 103
    Topics: 0

Yes the voltage does rise, but the timing doesn’t appear to alter using a timing light.

joesnuffy

Replies: 285
    Topics: 20

I have been studying this older thread and my question is for Gary. Does your diagram I posted here I don’t see the Mosorb diode 1N6303A used. Does your circuit need it or does the BD649 switching diode not need it? Is this the last circuit they came up with that folks should build if trying to do this?

Thanks,
    Joe

Attachments:

debe

joesnuffy, I am the person that originaly reverse engineered the Atom Ign module. Do not use a BD649 transistor as it wont last. As I cant post pictures here I have found that for reliability you need to use a 2SD1071 transistor & the 1N6303A Mosorb diode.

joesnuffy

" I am the person that originaly reverse engineered the Atom Ign module. Do not use a BD649 transistor as it wont last. As I cant post pictures here I have found that for reliability you need to use a 2SD1071 transistor & the 1N6303A Mosorb diode"

Thanks Debe for clearing that up. I am going to be building me a few. I got most the stuff I need minus the 2SD1071 and the 1N6303A Mosorb diode. I got to order them.

One question what is the silicone material you used for insulating the diode and where can I get it?? Also any tips??

Thanks,
    Joe

zul8tr
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 148
    Topics: 4

How do these Atom units (and this RE circuit) compare to the Nova II units for points to electronic ignition ā“ Since Atoms are NLA and if the Nova II does the same thing why not use it instead of the built circuit ā“ The Nova II’s have been approved for use in APBA boat racing and they have made their way to the Yamato point ignition race engines and they work very well.

joesnuffy

I have used nova IIs on 2 of my omc 2 cylinder 2 stroke engines with brand new omc coils. I have had good results that way and ran one of those engines yesterday for over an hour at wot. Its a 5.5hp 1960 johnson.

Most everyone here has not had good results with nova II modules. Time will tell if the new omc coils will allow the nova II’s to hold up. I am guessing that older omc coils for whatever reason kill the nova II modules. That is a guess on my part but I am going to run those 2 modified engines this summer a lot to try and determine if that might be the case.

I am building my own atom modules because its an easy non-expensive way to put them in all my motors and leave the ignition coils that are already in my outboard engines in them and see how they hold up verses the nova II modules using new omc coils.

Atom modules hold up that is why I am building them.

Joe

debe

When I build a module I check first that is going to work, then I set them in 5Minute Araldite a 2 part epoxy type of resin.

joesnuffy

Thanks where do you get the silicone material underneath the transistor??

debe

Its a silicone heat sink material from electronic stores to suit TO220 transistor shape.

debe

Theres a step by step pictures of how to assemble these on http://www.electro-tech-online.com/thre … le.142530/ its posted ATOM Diy module by debe.

bob-d
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 301
    Topics: 63

Great write up. Thank you.

chinewalker
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 445
    Topics: 17

I bought a module for my old Stihl chainsaw recently. Not sure if it’s the same thing, but I believe it works the same way. It mounts externally (coil is external to flywheel on my saw) and it replaces both the points and condenser. Worked really well! I might snag a pair of them at some point and see if and how they work in an outboard mounted under the flywheel.

Mumbles
    Mumbles
    Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4057
    Topics: 418

The Atoms were color coded for different applications and the red ones are what you want for outboard motors.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.