How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work?

Home Forum Ask A Member How do Atom Computer Ignition modules work?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 216 total)
    weedlessdrive

Replies: 151
    Topics: 23

There are Kawasaki and John Deere modules (M70114) that are single wire for 2 and 4 stroke engines. They have the same exact wiring diagram used by the Atom modules for installation. The ones I found were for a whizzer motorcycle but looked exactly the same as the Kawasaki and John Deere modules.

debe

Replies: 103
    Topics: 0

The single wire modules may not work unless you wire them in reverse polarity. That’s why 2 wire ones are marketed. I have used a single wire module before & had to fit a small heatsink to it & insulate the module from the motor, to reverse the polarity. With all these modules the polarity is trial & error, as it depends on the polarity of the Ign coils pulse in the primary windings. For example in Seagull outboards the Villiers coil is wired one way, but the Wipac is the opposite way. In my experiments I fount the Wipac coil on the Seagull was the hardest on the module, until I fitted the transient protection diode.

ken-w

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 82
    Topics: 20

I have gathered all parts but the transient diode, and put in a test board. I am planning to install into a 3 hp Seaking for testing.
    http://s451.photobucket.com/user/Zypheracer/media/IMG_1771_zpslnkcfxhu.png.html?sort=3&o=0

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3568
    Topics: 31

WeedlessDrive – You do nice work –

editIt worked on the 1940 Zephyr – same set up on the ’34 Lightfour Imperial and previous Quads.

weedlessdrive

Garry this is Ken W’s module. I would like to see how it’s done though. He obviously has some great skills.

debe

Very neat looking.

weedlessdrive

quote debe:

If you go to Photo bucket debe5 there is a video of my home made module on a running Victa 2stroke lawn mower. Also pictures of my outboard with the module on to see if they worked & they do. If you want to go in to the theory of how they work, read the US patent refered to in a previous post. It has taken me over 2 years to find a suitable transistor (2SD1071) that would work in this circuit. I found on some Ignition systems the transistor would break down. To over come this I added the 15KE200A to reduce the high voltage spikes. This then made the module reliable.

How is 15KE200A soldered in? I can’t tell where the leads go to on it?
    Thanks
    Marty

debe

The white band end goes to the Collector of the transistor & the other end goes to the Emitter.

legendre

Replies: 389
    Topics: 8
    quote WeedlessDrive:

Garry this is Ken W’s module. I would like to see how it’s done though. He obviously has some great skills.

It looks to be built on a piece of generic proto board with plated-through holes. The letters along the edge are probably part of a longer alphabetic sequence, used to aid the builder in laying out and documenting the circuit. It may also have had a sequence of numbers printed along the other edge of the complete board.

Incidentally, the high-voltage Darlington transistors have arrived, ten pieces total. If anyone is interested in building a module, go ahead and PM me, and I’ll ship you a couple for my cost.

ETA: I have the 1N6303A / 15KE200A diodes on order, and would be happy to include them in a packet, for anyone interested in building up one or more of these modules.

ken-w

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 82
    Topics: 20

The proto board was found on eBay, I cut into holes16x16. Awaiting for the big diode so the layout will change a little. Still have not tested so this package might not work, still trying to figure out to mount this baby.

debe

What I use to test a module before seting it in resin, is I use a test unit which is an old Seagull engine with out the barrel & piston clamped in a vice. Usualy just pull it over with a starting cord is all that’s needed. When I was checking for higher speed reliability on the bench, used an electric drill to drive it. The ultimate test was the video of using it on a lawnmower for over an hour cutting grass on a hot day.

legendre

I went ahead and ordered 10 pcs. of the 1N6303A / 15KE200A diodes, as they are also key to the design. These should show up sometime in the next week.

Again my offer is open – if anyone wants to experiment with building module(s), I’ll be happy to send these parts out at my own cost – no markup.

weedlessdrive

I’m having a hard time finding the .47uf capacitor that looks like the one in the picture.

debe

Doesn’t matter if it doesn’t look the same, so long as its .47uf 50v should be ok. I used 100v as they were physicaly quite small.

legendre

Hey debe (or anyone who knows),

The batch of 2SD1071s I received are measuring with a β of around 20 on my automagic component tester. The data sheet gives one spec for β, and it’s a +minimum+ of 500.

Is this tester artifact? Perhaps something caused by the internal diodes, one of which is a Zener, tripping up the tester? The error is a factor of 25…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.