Home Forum Ask A Member How Much Fuel Can A Fuel Pump Pump?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Just wondering if a square fuel pump as found on the 9.9/15 horse motors can supply enough fuel to feed a ’57 Fastwin 18 at WOT?

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I know people have used that pump successfully for all 1950’s OMC models up to 18 hp.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Mumbles
        Participant

Thanks Wayne. I’ll give it a try.

vintage.1958
          Participant

I’m running one on a 1969 20hp Johnson. Runs all day mostly WOT.

Stomp10
            Participant

I’m running one on a 1969 20hp Johnson. Runs all day mostly WOT.

Awesome, you guys!
              replacing the fuel pump on my ’65 18hp Johnson (Fished it out of a river years ago, my Dad and I spent a year and a half probably getting it running again. Way back before the internet existed… It was an education for both of us, but we got it done…)

So, I appreciate that last comment, Vintage. The new Chinese replacement doesn’t fit under the cowl although it is a similar design as the original. I was about to take a 1\2″ off of the the intake cover mounts and pray it was enough clearance to get the cover back on. Now I’m just going to order the small square pump instead. The EBay listings have it at 15hp upper end for this pump. The one I bought starts at 20hp in the listings. Somewhere along the way the 18hp got left out, so you have no idea how much I appreciate this posting! Also hoping that this helps a ton of other folks too!

vintage.1958
              Participant

I hope your experience is similar. I just happened to have that fuel pump laying around and never gave any thought to how it might work as it was the same as the one I removed. Ran 12 miles on the lake with no problems. I rebuilt the small square original and keep it in my tool box just in case.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by vintage.1958.
                chinewalker
                Participant

US Member

In a pinch, I used a pump off a Yamaha 30 hp recently. The bolt spacing and pulse hole all lined up perfectly! And the cowling fits!

031041E7-E618-418B-BB5F-EC81B00D4DF5

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
                  Mumbles
                  Participant

Good to know as I do have some Yammy parts here!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.