How to fix a dented tank?

Home Forum Ask A Member How to fix a dented tank?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• wyo307

Replies: 141
    Topics: 40

Hello everyone,

I just received my 4378 zephyr via FedEx last night and somewhere along the way they had dropped it straight on the gas cap. This resulted in the area under the cap getting pushed in badly. Also closer to the edge of the tank is pushed in although it is less severe. Really ticks me off because the tank was perfect before this. I am filing a claim with fedex but that still doesn’t fix it so what do I do? What is everyone’s method for removing dents from a tank? I would rather not cut any holes in it if possible. Could I just fill it with water and throw it in the freezer? Also with this tank being internally vented do I have to worry about damaging that?

Thank you in advance,
    Ryan

wyo307

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Here is how the factory said to fix them. Disclaimer: I’ve never tried it.

posted image

PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

These instructions had better be followed carefully to the "T", a fuel vapor explosion could be fatal. I’m sure the company lawyers wouldn’t recommend this info to be released to customers.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

I have used a slide hammer to lift and unsquash a gas tank’s neck. The motor was a 1937 johnson 1.7hp model 110. Yes the postal service had done a very bad job handling the package. You can file a grievance report with the local post master and get about $50 back. Don’t expect a fast return. I believe $50 can be filed for if it was not insured

http://www.harborfreight.com/slide-hamm … 60554.html

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

What I do to pull dents, is weld "pins" onto the dent. I fill the tank with a small amount of air, just a few pounds. Lightly heat around dent, then I use a slide hammer like posted above, attached to the pin, to pop the dent out. Grind off the welded pin, then the tank can be polished.

There are ways, to pressurize the tank, heat around the dent, and tap out with a hammer, but Im either too stupid, or dense to master that. For me, using the slide hammer on a welded pin works best, but everyone has their own way.

brook-n

Replies: 188
    Topics: 6

Sorry your tank got damaged during shipping. I for one try to keep as much of the original parts on my motors as possible.
    One of the thinks I consider is the rarity of the motor and parts availability, Zephyrs and their parts are plentiful.
    Before spending hours trying to work out that dent and risking more damage to the tank or you, you maybe able to find a really nice replacement for 25 bucks or less.

Just another option to consider

Respectfully

gjonz

Replies: 184
    Topics: 17

I use the method Frank shows from the manufacture…EXCEPT…I use dry ice or snow if I have any around and alternate by heating and tapping then cramming the cold stuff up against the crease or dent. This causes an almost immediate cooling and retraction by the metal and most dents will come out eventually.

However this method will ruin paint and decals…so you may have to do some cosmetic work afterward like filling with fiberglass jelly and sanding, prepping, priming and painting.

Yeah…yeah…I know a lot of work! But it’s a hobby! It’s supposed to be about learning new techniques. If you just want to run motors…hell with it…

Make a claim and then get her running and have fun! She’s a beaut and now have a little more history that is all too apparent.

Good luck!

Greg.

fastjohn

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 147
    Topics: 42

Wyo307 I have several Zephyr tanks. I sent you a private message, or you can click on my name and send me a message.

wyo307

I pm’d you back fastjohn.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.