HUGE THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION

Home Forum Ask A Member HUGE THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• ddoyle

Replies: 55
    Topics: 8

Huge thanks to Odd job motors and AOMCI. The knowledge I have gained from my brief tenure as a member helped me big time today.

Called a guy this morning that had some old ski-doos for sale figuring he would have outboards. Oh he had outboards, an example or 6 of every air-cooled Clinton/gamefisher/ted Williams ever thrown in the local dump LOL. Exercising some prudence and restraint I ignored them and eventually found the barn full of tanks.

Cast an eye about and solely because of the articles and photos form AOMCI members I immediately recognized the Tank and fitting for my 7.5 Elgin restoration! Oh happy day. Would not have recognized it, nor realized the fitting on the engine was OEM without the education I have gotten from the club/club members.

Bundled the purchase with a project lathe and I am in antique outboard heaven.

Anyone out there who is not supporting the club and receiving the Magazine is really missing out!

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Cool Deal and the metal lathe as a bonus. Cha Ching!!!

ddoyle

Yep I paid what he asked which was just slightly less then the cost of a made in china plastic 3 gallon outboard tank down at the discount hardware store. So the lathe was free.

Have not plugged the lathe in yet but my guess is the ‘board’ is probably fried but it is tight and still bears most of it’s original cosmoline. Wheels are really turning thinking about Antique outboard applications for it……. Hopefully I can find a niche part need to fill.

thepetrolist

Replies: 43
    Topics: 20

Nice finds!

I just wanted to chime in in your "thank you" thread. I’m an even newer member than you are, and I’ve already learned tons of new stuff that I didn’t know before joining this board. It’s a never ending source of fantastic information, knowledge, and just plain fun. Even I, a real newbie compared to many of you, feel really welcome here.

So keep up the good work here and keep on keeping this such a good place to return to!

shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

Yep, terrific bunch of people here for sure!

ddoyle

Petrolist, shoestring. Not sure if your aware so I’ll mention it, if you join the Club you get a package in the mail quarterly with the "Antique Outboarder" magazine and a bunch of other goodies like chapter mail outs with tech tips and old school classifieds. I learned about the fuel connectors thru it. Not pictured above is a fistful of the small merc fittings that I picked up as well as some pressure tank ends. I did not know they even existed before I read the article. Next step is to save a few bucks and buy up back issues while they are available!

shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53
    quote ddoyle:

Petrolist, shoestring. Not sure if your aware so I’ll mention it, if you join the Club you get a package in the mail quarterly with the “Antique Outboarder” magazine and a bunch of other goodies like chapter mail outs with tech tips and old school classifieds. I learned about the fuel connectors thru it. Not pictured above is a fistful of the small merc fittings that I picked up as well as some pressure tank ends. I did not know they even existed before I read the article. Next step is to save a few bucks and buy up back issues while they are available!

I will when I can afford it…not flush with cash these days

ddoyle

I hear ya, I got 4 kids eating me out of house and home….. wife in school…..northern heating bills…….. and… and….and…..and….. and…… Fact of the matter is though that for the price of a tank of gasoline for the truck or for a months cell phone/cable/internet cost you actually get something of value for your money from the AOMCI.

Just do not join when the cdn dollar is .60 cents usd LOL.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.