Home Forum Ask A Member Hydro-electric control boxes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

As I mess with these motors, I notice that the controls are often an issue. They Evinrude boxes uses manual push buttons and the Johnsons use a switch at the pivot point, actuated by the throttle lever. Neither switch is what I would call heavy duty or readily opened up for cleaning and repair, and they cost 2-300 + new.

The Evinrudes are interlocked to prevent shifting at speed, with a sliding yoke that locks the buttons, moved by a plastic link that is usually broken or missing.

It’s easy enough to gin up an improvised switch, but I don’t see how to easily create an interlock to prevent (say) shifting into reverse at full throttle.

(I think it would not be too hard to gin up a microprocessor system to prevent the electric shift from changing state above some arbitrary rev limit, but that seems a lot of bother at my level of electronics skill.)

Anybody here expert on these controls and want to advise?

PS: Probably anybody reading this far already knows this, but the control logic for the hydro-electric shifts is different and not compatible with the spring-clutch type of electric shift. Reverse on the hydro boxes is got by energizing both solenoids together. Doing that with the spring clutch type is the equivalent of engaging forward and reverse at the same time and the results aren’t likely to be good.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

One would think somebody in China would make some switches for $15. But I guess they aren’t listening.

amuller
        Participant

It has just occurred to me that an electric motor reversing drum switch would probably work as well as anything in this application. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/AceCrew-Forward-Reverse-Rain-Proof-Reversing/dp/B07B8TC5NG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_60_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=14X1AXQA4DCH8M2KRDRA

These things have lots of connection alternatives, are usually pretty robust,and this one is supposed to be rainproof.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.