Home Forum Ask A Member I got a Mumbles deal today

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

I swung by the local scrap yard today to look for some angle iron. Spotted this little beauty sitting off to the side. I wandered over and checked her out. Motor is free, feels like it has good compression, seems to shift ok. Ended up bringing it home for $12. I tried the electric starter when I got home. Spun right up and turns her over just fine. Can’t wait to dig into it this weekend and see if it will run. If not, I can at least quadruple my money on the starter and bracket! It’s an FD-18E. Was a good day!

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

you just never know. good job.

Mumbles
        Participant

Congratulations Wannabe! You’re learning my tricks! 😀

I don’t know how I missed that one. Guess I should have been touring the scrap yards today to instead of playing at the lake with my manual start FD 19. 😥

wiscoboater
          Participant

That would have been a long detour for you Mumbles, South eastern Wisconsin!

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

Some people are darn lucky!! I’ve been looking for that starter/bracket for a month now, for a client who wants to add electric start. I’ll give you quadruple for it if you want to sell it!

cajuncook1
              Participant

Yes, Mumbles is the Outboard whisperer. I enjoy his restorations and he is always glad to help!

Cheers,

Cajun

wiscoboater
                Participant

Does anyone know what changed on these motors in 1966 that they went from a 18hp rating to 20hp?

1946zephyr
                  Participant

I think it’s just in the carb

wiscoboater
                    Participant

IT FIRED UP!! When I got home today I put it on a stand, put a new set of plugs in, cleaned the fuel bowl and hooked up the gas tank. When I connected the electric start it fired and took off at what seemed like full throttle. I pulled the choke to kill it so it did not blow on me. I have to see what’s sticking it at wide open throttle, but it runs. I’ll have some time this weekend to get a bit more into it, but for $12 at the scrap yard I’m not complaining at this point. I have to figure this posting videos thing out. This could turn out to be a great buy!

Mumbles
                      Participant

Yee Haw! Good stuff! 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.