I like it. But probably not that much.

Home Forum Ask A Member I like it. But probably not that much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

• bullie

Replies: 416
    Topics: 57

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

$50 max for any love …from me anyway

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bullie

Were these motors any good? I think it’s a Scott but maybe without the bail-o-matic?

slim60

Replies: 243
    Topics: 64

56 or 57 Scott Atwater. I tore one down last winter but put it on the back burner for now. It needs rings, seals, and L/U gears. Probably not worth it. It has the bracket and hose for the "Knotometer".

bullie

I talked with the owner briefly last night (facebook) but didn’t make an offer. I think he needs a good deal more out of it than I would be willing to pay.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Yeah, $300 is a dream price indeed…Be sensitive in the way you make your much lower offers though. Just hitting the guy with a $50 offer might be likely to turn him off quickly. I would go and visit the fellow, take the time to go over the engine thoroughly, the owner will be more open to lower offers once he realizes it will take a great deal of time and effort to get this engine running reliably again…

bullie

quote fleetwin:

Yeah, $300 is a dream price indeed…Be sensitive in the way you make your much lower offers though. Just hitting the guy with a $50 offer might be likely to turn him off quickly. I would go and visit the fellow, take the time to go over the engine thoroughly, the owner will be more open to lower offers once he realizes it will take a great deal of time and effort to get this engine running reliably again…

We are thinking along the same lines. This guy NEEDS some money right now and I didn’t feel like making an offer he would likely find insulting. He has lowered the price a little but I think he believes the motor to be fairly desirable as it is.

john8504

Replies: 169
    Topics: 31

As nice as it would be to own a firestone motor…since I work for the company anyways…that price is way high. I agree with everyone else. I see motors here, by me, that people think are worth their weight in gold but it’s just not.

20mercman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 23

Kevin and I picked up a 1954 Corsair Navigator 5hp. (Another Scott Atwater store brand motor) at Tomahawk two years ago from the "Free" pile. It was frozen in the lower unit, so it needed a bit of work to get it back from the dead, but these are really nice motors. I think that they were very competitive with the competition at the time. We ran a TN-26 this year, great motor, and a Mark 5, both in the 5hp. class from the major builders. The Corsair has full gear shift, remote fuel tank, fuel pump, tiller throttle and steering. It will troll nicely, perhaps not as nice as the TN, but pretty good. This may be just condition of the motor, and not representative of them when new. In any event, these are not bad motors.

Steve

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

And they look very modern with the smooth cowl.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.