ID this Evinrude

Home Forum Ask A Member ID this Evinrude

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Can anyone ID this Evinrude? Looking for year and model and hp. Also, any advice good/bad about this motor. In the picture, I tried looking for the serial number on the flywheel sheave.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Cajun

3DA2043C-C678-4EDF-962E-F47FB7BBB62E

DB46261F-66CC-478B-A556-9A947C70BFE1

2fast4me

Replies: 276
    Topics: 21

Looks like a lightfour imperial. 9.2 HP. Jim

2Fast4Me

1 user thanked author for this post.

pm-t2

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 44

There is a tag clearly visible on the transom bracket assembly, the model number will be stamped into it. The Evinrude and Elto motors of this vintage did not have anything on the flywheel as far as a model or serial number is concerned. There will also be a round brass tag (a type of Welch plug) on the powerhead that also has the model/serial number stamped on it.

I agree that its a Lightfour, the model number (first four digits) will fill in the year of manufacture.

Hope it helps.

Best,
    PM T2

need2fish

Replies: 281
    Topics: 15

Definitely a Lightfour Imperial. The badge and front cover are identical to mine. Or, rather what used to be mine. Best barn find I ever had — someone stole it off the rear porch. I’d parked it there because my then-wife had found another outboard underneath our bed, disguised in an old blanket. Don’t know what set her off — the presence of grease in the room or the use of an old blanket.

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Thanks guys, for the help. Yes indeed it is a Lightfour. Model 4231 was listed on the tag as T2 stated. That makes it a 1937 model. It has a 2 digit serial number 00xx. So it left the factory very early that year.

I was just curious at first, because I was not looking to add to my collection at this time, but it seemed to be in good condition cosmetically. Went out to look at it and was very surprised to see it very decent condition. Well, it came home with me 🙂

I have a 1937 Johnson KA-37, so it will be interesting to compare the two motors. The Evinrude Lightfour is a four cylinder motor at 9.2hp and the Johnson KA-37 is a two cylinder motor at 9.2hp.

I am going to clean it up and do a mechanical restoring of the motor in the near future, but I am going to try to leave it as original condition as possible. No saw horse queen for this one. There is an interesting story that goes along
    with this motor. If the story is true, then this motor has not been messed with in many many decades. It has been sleeping in an air conditioning warehouse.

Again, thanks for the help!!

Cheers,

Cajun

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.