Home Forum Ask A Member Identifying a ’80’s or newer Johnson 15HP

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I am now the owner of this commercial motor. Seems the cowling decal design hints at a world production motor, having the different views of the Earth map globes on it?
      Did anyone notice the transom clamp screw handles? Are those aftermarket ? I seem to recall seeing one of those metal handles somewhere. Could they be the Commercial version of the handle that are metal and stronger than the plastic handles of that era? That would make sense.

Going back to my original post of the serial #,it has a "G" in the first position of the sequence. I have a Canadian built ’89 9.9 that has a "C" in that first position.
      So does the "G’ signify a certain country of origin? Or does it tell its is a Commercial motor? Too bad the ID tag is unreadable, other than a couple letters that may be part of the model #. i will have to study the remains of that tag after getting it in a better position to read it.

This motor intrigues me ,even in it’s rough shape. MIssing is the lower unit, but the 5" extension is there. Anyone know if the 15 Commercials had a tougher lower unit. I seem to recall that some motors when produced as commercial, had LU’s of a larger motor? Where the lower unit would bolt up to the 5" extension, the bolt pattern is the same as a "normal" 9.9/15 motors lower.

Fleetwin- i don’t intend to alter anything on this motor, keeping it original as produced. Not a big fan of the tiller kill switch/lanyard. But i have yet to be tossed overboard while underway.
      Thanks for all of your comments. You have helped narrow down the year made, and that is indeed a Commercial motor.
      Edited due to rambling 😀

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
      Participant

One of our members who worked for OMC said the serial # with the "G" at the beginning means built in Georgia ,Calhoun plant.
        He said the transom clamp handles are the commercial version I will take a better photo of them and post.
        I got on ebay and found tons of J/E commercial parts catalogs .Notice the design/logo at the top ,same as the cowling. The Johnson Seahorse symbol on the right end looks kinda evil. EDIT

Attachments:

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
        Robbie Robertson

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

shown is a transom clamp off this 15hp commercial motor. The clamp screw handle and rivet is availiable to order separately. Part# 0398001 is not cheap at $56.91 ,but they are stout aluminum.

Robbie Robertson

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There were 10/14 commercial models also, some used the 18-25hp gearcase. But, it sounds like yours has the standard style 9.9/15hp gearcase. I don’t know of any beefier components that may or may not have been used in the commercial models. You mention that the engine has the conventional mid section and extension housing, so this seems to confirm that this engine uses the conventional 9.9/15hp gearcase. But, beware, some of these commercial engines had a 22.5" extension, not the usual 20" extension. But, I would think that the extension housing would be missing also, since it had to be removed in order to remove the gearcase. Post a picture of the midsection if that will help.
            I’m pretty sure this engine will use the driveshaft without the driveshaft oring, the powerhead most likely has the lower seal housing with the two seals.
            And yes, some of the the commercial models came factory equipped with those beefy transom clamp screws.

Mumbles
            Participant

I’ve seen lots of service motors with one ordinary clamp screw handle and one like the one shown. Maybe an option for locking the motor?

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant
                quote Mumbles:

I’ve seen lots of service motors with one ordinary clamp screw handle and one like the one shown. Maybe an option for locking the motor?

I noticed where you could slip a lock or small cable through the clamp handle on those beefier handles. A lock slipped through the hole in the plastic recreational motors would not offer much security.

Robbie Robertson

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.