Home Forum Ask A Member Identifying Antique Outboard Motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rich50
    Participant

Good Day Folks,

I am trying to identify a Johnson outboard motor I inherited. Best I can tell it may be a 9.8hp 19401-1942 model. The flywheel spins so it isn’t frozen but it obviously needs restoration. I am actually looking to just sell it as is. If anyone can identify it I would be grateful. The pics I tried to post are too large to add to this request. Better yet what is this motors value? Here is the information.
      I don’t follow forums much but my email is rponthier50@gmail.com. Thanks a bunch!!

Serial Number: 488294
      Model Number: 27E250
      KS 15

bayham3261
      Participant

From what I know the KS15 9.8hp was made in 41&42. Are you sure about the serial #? It is outside the ’42 serial range… could have been a war-time product or a miss-read. As for value… it is a common motor for collectors that is non-functional. you take what you can get and don’t expect to get Ebay $.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

Mumbles
        Participant

4’3’8294 would make it a ’41 motor. You might want to check that second eight to see if it isn’t actually a three.

Rich50
          Participant

Both are not doubt 8s. The serial number is also on top the flywheel. One eight is hard to read on the flywheel and the other 8 is hard to read on the other part of the motor. So the Serial number is 488294. What is a wartime motor? Built during WWII? Any significance to that? I will email you the pics since they are too large to attach here.

Rich50
            Participant

Gents if you could email me your email address I can send you the pictures. I do not know how to reformat a picture and they are too large to post here. Thanks again for all your wisdom!!

my email is rponthier50@gmail.com

The Boat House
              Participant

Rich50
                Participant

So basically its a paper weight (extra heavy one lol)?

The Boat House
                  Participant

Somebody would like to own it and be willing to give you
                    what its worth to them. It might take you a while to find them
                    You can place a free ad in our classified section if you like..

Rich50
                    Participant

Thanks brother!

Mumbles
                      Participant

Something aint right here as the alternate firing Johnson KS-15’s were only built for two years, ’41 and ’42. That serial number has to be 43XXXX if it really is a KS model. Could it be a KD-15 with the rewind starter as they were built thru ’48 and the 48XXXX serial number would qualify it for a later KD-15? What color is it, green or silver?

These are smooth running motors and well worth the effort to get them running. They like to drink 8:1 fuel mix, not 16 or 24:1.

Email sent.

KS-15

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.