Home Forum Ask A Member Ignition component testing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    joshadurham
    Participant

How does one professionally test ignition components? What special tools are involved? I know there are many ways to go about it as far as assuming and replacing, but that gets expensive and frustrating. how does one do a proper check of each component? Do you need a special tool like a mercotronic tester? or will a multimeter do the trick. I want to learn how to diagnose problems the right way, and avoid replacing expensive parts with nothing but a guess.

Thanks

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

cant beat the merc-o-tronic.

debe
        Participant

Merc-o-tronic probably the most versatile instrument you can get. Was lucky enough to find one in the local scrap yard for free. And it had the CDI test function.

chris-p
          Participant

Yeah I tried for years with meters and such, but now that I have the proper Mercotronic, Ill never go back!

joshadurham
            Participant

looks like I need to find a Merc-o-tronic! Anyone got an extra they want to sell? Do they make one that plugs in rather than battery operated?

handyandy
              Participant

US Member

Basic testing with a multimeter:

Coil Testing:
                http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/coils.htm

Condenser Testing:
                http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/Con … sting.html

mr-asa
                Participant

Without having used a Merc-O-Tronic, I have yet to find a tool that will beat my Fluke multimeter for electronics testing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.