Home Forum Ask A Member ignition kit prices

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well I hope the little clips will fit… 🙂 btw I saved those pictures to my 21 century file

I guess we are or I am ……into the deep layers of coil/condenser engineering ….or a marketing scheme to generate parts numbers !

Kind of funny that a “universal magneto” ends up with less that universal coils and condensers parts.

AT least I have my ETEC75 hp to fall back on if my back up 55 year old kicker fails 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by crosbyman.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Some of you guys are missing the point (no pun intended). Preventing arcing is only part of what a condenser does. Think of a condenser as a closed can. And think of electricity as “stuff”. Actually, it is “stuff”—electrons that have been yanked out of atoms.

Ok, if the can holds a gallon of stuff and you cram a gallon of stuff into it, it will fill up and the pressure inside will equal the pressure cramming the stuff in.

On the other hand, if you only cram in a pint of stuff, it will never fill up and the pressure won’t equal the pressure of the source because the source ran out of stuff to cram in.

In a magneto, the coil develops a voltage (pressure) as the magnets pass the first legs of the coil. Then the magnets pass the other legs and the voltage reverses. That reversal causes a considerably higher voltage in the coil, which tries to arc across the points. Instead of arcing, the “stuff” flows into the condenser. Remember the analogy, the bigger the container (mfd) the lower the pressure inside at a given source pressure and amount of stuff available.

All this is a long winded way of saying that after the reversal is completed, the condenser stops accepting stuff and the stuff surges back out and adds to the new voltage being generated in the coil, just as a second flashlight battery doubles the voltage from one battery. So….a big condenser (mfd) contains less pressure (voltage) to add to the coil voltage. But a small condenser has accepted less stuff (electrons) to discharge back through the coil. The whole process affects the coil’s output (spark) voltage

This probably will go way over heads, but is about as simple as I can say it.

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

So, I am thinking 3 legs of the coil laminations, after the magnets pass the first 2, it creates the voltage, but when passing the last 2 it reverses the voltage?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

voilà ! all you wanted to know on condensers in magnetos

http://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/condensers-theory

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/faqs/FAQs%20about%20magneto%20condensers%20in%20particular/What%20does%20the%20condenser%20do%20in%20a%20magneto.htm

after reading some net docs …. FR was correct in stating that condensers spit back their load of electrons to help generate a bigger spark
            so size does matter 🙂

bayham3261
            Participant

I’m no way an expert on this but… I understand that coil windings, armature, condenser capacity (uf & v), spark plug and flywheel magnets have all been tuned to work together to create an optimal cascading current that creates the spark by smart engineers. This cascading current bounces back and forth between the secondary coil windings/condenser and spark plug to fire a number of sparks each time to fully ignite and then burn the fuel mix. I had always believed that it was just on single spark but that is not the case. When you play with the components bit you can likely maintain some type of cascading spark it just may not work as efficient.

People who are really into this stuff can hook-up a tuned oscilloscope to the spark plug wire of a running engine and view the cascading current. This allows them to tune things right both fuel and ignition. A while ago I bought a USB oscilloscope for my computer and hooked it up to my car. I got to see this in action but I had no clue what the heck I was doing so I put it away! Sometime I’m going to revisit this with more information and determination.

A little information is a dangerous thing!

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

been looking at scopes out of interest …. basic and cheap ones are all over the internet (amazon)

I used to use them at work in the hay days of digital multiplexers used to integrate data streams for transport between cities 56kbs what a real top gun speed 🙂 🙂

now everything is ethernet internet iPod and aching thumbs

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

update:

well the 2 kits came in… the only difference and as per Mumbles reply the condensers in the ” momentarily ” cheaper 18-5002 (172523 kit) were the caps
                  which all 4 measured around 310 uf & used on 18-40hp from 1962-1973

compared to the more popular/expensive 18-5006 (172522 kit) at 221uf mostly used 1950 to mid 60s 3-18 hp

points are the same

frankr
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Forget some decimal points there, crosby? But we know what you meant.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

🙂 you got the point it seems

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.