Home Forum Ask A Member Inexperience kicking in 1956 15hp Johnson

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bullie
    Participant

I finally acquired all the parts, I thought, for the "new" cousin’s 15 Johnson. But, I think I got the reverse gear instead of forward. It has the right part # on the box but it looks like reverse..or I could be confused. Part # is 377876.

Note: a other tip off that it’s reverse gear is that someone wrote "rev" on it with a sharpie.

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes Mark, that looks like a reverse gear to me. The forward gear should have a ground finish on the outside of the diameter and face behind the bevel gear. The large bushing would go over that diameter and and against the ground face behind the gear. My parts catalog only calls out teh full gear set and bushings under one number so I cannot confirm or deny the validity of the part number on the box.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

bullie
        Participant

Maybe the wrong gear got in the right box. I donno.

bullie
          Participant

I am not having any luck finding the individual part numbers.

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yep, Mark that is a #307125 reverse gear. Just got one the other day in a #377876 box myself. I contacted the guy & he sent me the correct part. Told me to keep the reverse gear for my troubles. Like Fisherman6 said the front gear is machined for the front bearing/bushing. On some models (RDs) you can press the bushing in the forward gear out & just put it in a reverse gear, but not this one! Alas, you have to have the correct part.
              The gear set break down parts comes once again from a copy of the Common Parts Reference Guide. Couldn’t live without mine. I have several copies from many years. I think I gave Ben a copy. Try to find you one at a meet or eBay.

Dan in TN

frankr
              Participant

This is what I have—–

dan-in-tn
                Participant

This is why I have more than one copy. Even nice to have EV & JO. Different info in each one. This is from 1972, but I have them back to 1964.

Dan in TN

bullie
                  Participant
                    quote Dan in TN:

Yep, Mark that is a #307125 reverse gear. Just got one the other day in a #377876 box myself. I contacted the guy & he sent me the correct part. Told me to keep the reverse gear for my troubles. Like Fisherman6 said the front gear is machined for the front bearing/bushing. On some models (RDs) you can press the bushing in the forward gear out & just put it in a reverse gear, but not this one! Alas, you have to have the correct part.
                    The gear set break down parts comes once again from a copy of the Common Parts Reference Guide. Couldn’t live without mine. I have several copies from many years. I think I gave Ben a copy. Try to find you one at a meet or eBay.

Dan in TN

Thanks Dan. I sent the seller a note. Hope we can settle it up quickly.

Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.