Is 1975 too new for this forum?

Home Forum Ask A Member Is 1975 too new for this forum?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

• shoestringmariner

Replies: 258
    Topics: 53

Hey guys, I picked up a new fishing boat last week. It’s not a classic in my mind but the motor is a 1975(?) 650 mercury. On earmuffs I t starts and runs great. Restarts on a flick of the switch. My question as I’ve stripped out all the foam on the inside of the hood. It was turning to dust by the lightest of touch. Should I bother replacing it? If so, is it readily available or what do you guys use as a substitute?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Too New???? Heck no. Official aomci rules say anything over 30 years is a "classic". Personally, I’d just strip all the foam out and run it.
    May be a tad louder.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

You can run as is like Frank says, or ill send you an email with what I have used. Helps a little but not a lot.

shoestringmariner

Thanks guys. Hey Chris I hope you’re doing well. What are the odds that you would have a front plate for this hood?
    The one that I have is all cracked up.

rmhxruss

Replies: 145
    Topics: 6

Basically if it"s over twenty years old classic applies.

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

A few years ago someone here used this type of material with good results:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUNDCOAT-1-2- … 0011.m1850

For the OMC motors, I have replaced the foam using 1/2" foam and a can of spray glue.

shoestringmariner

Thanks mumbles, that looks pretty good. I was thinking of a foil back type of insulation for the front cover. Just in case the carbs or spitting fuel all over it. I don’t know if these motors typically do that or not, but I had a snowmobile as a kid that was bad for that

Actually, on that topic, should this motor not have some sort of intake housing? It’s just two carbs wide open. I can’t seem to find anything on the Internet

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

Hopefully it hasn’t sucked much of the flaking foam into the carb!

I’d replace the foam – Quiet is nice!
    Dave

shoestringmariner

quote outbdnut2:

Hopefully it hasn’t sucked much of the flaking foam into the carb!

I’d replace the foam – Quiet is nice!
    Dave

My concern as well. It crumbled like sand.

I’d appreciate the quieter option too

joesnuffy

Replies: 356
    Topics: 23

This is what I used on inside a 40HP outboard engine cow about 3 years ago. It has stayed inside very well even where it is mounted upside down. I also used several sheets in layers on-top of one another to help reduce the noise. I just cut it to fit my application then peel off the backing and stick it where I want it. The price wasn’t to bad and enough to do more than one motor normally. Hope that helps,

Joe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12Pcs-Heat-Shi … 281482674c

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.