Home Forum Ask A Member is it just me….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Been using the new board since up

I know “change is good” but the question is ..”.is it better ” ?

I find that the graphics although..nice are much to big (splashy ?)
      The spacing of topics is to large causing to few listings to show making browsing back topics harder (less user friendly) same for classified adds
      The change to new wording..seems strange VOICES ? is guess it is as in voices are heard or…your voice was heard
      That big red circle “top” I knew TOP meant top before

…..

what the general feeling ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Anonymous

X2

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was never one much for “change”, just ask my wife, but it’s too soon for me to
          come to a conclusion. I can’t even remember what all was petitioned for in
          the new web site “survey” we all filled out last year.

In time, I guess maybe we’ll see how many of the member wish list items
          were fulfilled. I too pondered over “Voices”. Maybe they need a glossary
          for us old people, lol.

As long as progress continues on the web site, I’ll be happy for now.
          Just wish there were more people actually posting about “outboards”,
          and hope we didn’t loose people and great resources because of “change”.

Prepare to be boarded!

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

My opinion is I see we have a new site that everyone has to get used to, just like we all had to get used to the Green board when we first joined and then the Blue board when it was first introduced. I also know not all change is good and it would be near impossible to change this site without some people seeing it as a confusing or as a negative

That being said, I am excited everyday when I open my PC and see the new things being added, new options to allow easier use of this new site and issues being corrected. I am happy that they EC listened when we asked for an updated site… We got it… I see some things here that make me scratch my head but you know what… I can live with that.

Regards..

Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

squierka39
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It’s not just you.

nj-boatbuilder57
              Participant

Other comments I’ve written have been deleted by someone in “management”. Maybe as a non-member I’m not allowed to comment. But I have to say “no, it’s not just you”.

general feeling?

The new website is nice! Yes, some of the graphics are a bit large for my tastes, but that’s nothing to quibble over.

But whomever coded this forum doesn’t know what they’re doing, IMO. Yes, the previous site used an older version of phpBB, but if upgrading is the goal, why not use a modern template like XenForo? This forum’s format is NOT an upgrade, IMO.

And FWIW, the former board is still “up” with the ‘new website soon’ message. aomci.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 Shouldn’t that, at the very least, resolve that old URL to this new page?

The Boat House
                Participant

I don’t know where it will end up but as far as the
                  discussion boards goes this has a way to go before
                  it can even compare to the blue board. The old
                  home page with its random pictures was superior
                  to this home page IMOP. There has been years of
                  promises of a new, relevant, up to date, webs sight
                  that would attract people with the hope they will
                  become members. Improvements are being made
                  daily but implication was that a more modern board
                  is what we would get right from the start. Only time
                  will tell how this ends up. I’m hopeful that, in time,
                  they can deliver on there promise’s.

bullie
                  Participant

Is there a “new topics” link anymore? That was very handy and it was cool not to have to scan everything to see stuff I haven’t read. Also, don’t know about anyone else, but the reply boxes are hard to see now. It took me some time to figure out where to type and how to start a new topic.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I guess this all boils down to the human interface and as Buccaner summarized … “hope we didn’t loose people and great resources because of “change”.”

As I jump from AOMCI and IBOATS I find the IBOATS rink easier and faster to skate on.

ex: If you loose the connection or “forget to submit” lost comments can be restored

I know development is complex having worked on billing systems for a Telco ….Customers are very quick to spot errors and very vocal but gradually things do get worked out as they will on this new site I am certain…. it is just that BIG in not always better . It is like working the board with a magnifying glass but loosing the overall picture .

OK I am done complaining …. no … critiquing is a better word (as in let’s make this better) let’s give it a chance .

back to outboards

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

vintin
                      Participant

If the goal was to cripple internet forum use.

It succeeded.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.