Home Forum Ask A Member Is it true? Can ruin fish finder /transducer while on land??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I was on a fishing web site and someone stated-
      That person can ruin their fish finder /transducer if they turned on the fish finder on land.
      Something about the transducer sending out waves and the waves bouncing off the cement back to the transducer.
      Is this true???

Mumbles
      Participant

I don’t think so. The sounder works by bouncing sound waves off the bottom tru water which is a lot more condensed than air. I’ve never seen or even heard of one working thru air. If I power mine on while the boat is on the trailer, which I do occasionally, it can be heard clicking and gives a constant depth reading of 13′ even with my hand on it. Sound waves don’t travel thru air as good as they do thru water.

This Lowrance transducer and paddlewheel was replaced once when first it lost the surface temperature and then the speedo. After that the depth readings were all wrong. We would be in 400′ and it would say we were in 35 or something stupid like that. The transducer was cracking along its seam, almost as if it had water in it and froze. After replacing both units, everything went back to normal.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

urban legend likely …

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

reivertom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

getting it mixed up with electric trolling moters.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.