Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 1962 5.5 throttle linkage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

The motor (CD-19 S) starts and runs nicely, but something is off with the throttle linkage, or spark/carb sync, as the motor won’t run below the “start” position on the twist grip, regardless of carb settings. It almost acts as if the gears in the twist grip mechanism were out of time, but I don’t think that is the case, if even possible. I do notice that the arm at the top of the vertical shaft (that moves the stator plate via a link) taps the side of the hood when at the “stop” end of travel.

I have double-checked the timing using the timing marks on the flywheel. The throttle cam is adjusted all the way out. I do notice that the carb throttle shaft doesn’t begin to rotate until the index mark on the cam is about 3/16″ to the left of the centerline of the roller.

This doesn’t prevent using the motor, but bugs me. Suggestions? I’m missing something!

benji41
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

There is a small nylon part (329197)- item 42 in picture- in the base of the vertical shaft to the magneto. I had one shear off on a small Evinrude and I looked at every thing till I found it. The twist grip will turn but the shaft does not till it binds up then turn. Hope this helps.

Jim Benjamin

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Rare, but I’ve seen the vertical control shaft twisted.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, these twist grip throttle indicators are historically inaccurate..Especially if the tiller grip and indicator have been replaced in the past…
            Is the roller off the throttle cam when the engine is idling?
            I guess anything is possible, perhaps the engine isn’t running/set up right. Perhaps the indicator is just inaccurate…The vertical rod could be twisted or the plastic pin sheared….
            Post some pictures of throttle cam/roller with the engine running//idling….

amuller
            Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I’m checking out. So far none jump out at me as the answer, but will keep at it…..

Alan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.