Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 210 overheating

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stanley
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A newly acquired 210 running in a barrel seemed to be getting pretty hot.Before I take it apart is it a problem running these motors in a barrel since they have no pump just dependent on prop wash?

jasonh
      Participant

I have heard of issues running motors with siphon cooling systems in barrels. I ran my 210 in a barrel… Wouldn’t say it overheated but ran hotter than when running in pond. With that said I’d use caution when running them in barrel.

kevinf
        Participant

I got an A-75 running last year. There were enough warnings against running the siphon cooling systems in a barrel on the old forums I didn’t even try. I did all my tuning on the boat and everything worked fine.

Goman
          Participant

There are 2 screws holding the exhaust housing. Remove the exhaust housing and the exhaust pipe then you can fashion a hose onto a garden hose to fit in the small square water inlet passage. Put the screws back in and use tape or whatever to stable the hose. I did this on a 200 last year to idle it real slow on break in. Of course remove the prop as well.

Doug Wilson
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I found that with my A-50 last year started it a few times just mainly to make sure would fire and keep running in the water but after min or so would start to get warm in a hurry so shut down when I felt it starting to get hot. Will do the same with the K-50 when I get around to it, short test to make sure will run then off to the lake.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
              turned off?

tom-c
              Participant

I would never run a pressure/vacuum motor in a barrel. I believe they were designed to be moving forward to enable cooling. I run my 20/210 only on the boat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.