Johnson ? 30

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson ? 30

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)

• sbrown21

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 28
    Topics: 30

Pictures

Randy in Tampa

Replies: 191

The Numbers and letters stamped on the fly wheel are not original, the P 35 carburetor was used on the P 35, P 40, P 40, P 45 . Since it doesn’t have an underwater exhaust it’s not a P 45, can you get me the casting number of the cylinders and a better picture of the motor including where the gearcase connects to the lower tower ? Most likely it’s a P 35 or P 40 but if you’re lucky it may be a PR 40 which is more desirable. I’ll let you know more when you post the cylinder casting numbers ….Randy in Tampa 😎

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

sbrown21

US Member - 2 Years

The only numbers I can find on the motor are these on the powerhead H 10 and H172 plus where the powerhead connects to the shaft 8628 and maybe a 4 but could be just a gouge in the metal. The transom clamp says P 8 on one side and H 7 on the other. I have sent a picture may be the wrong one. ( camera acting up )

Randy in Tampa

The cylinder casting numbers are located behind the muffler,Should be a number like H145, H146 etc ….. if I get a chance tomorrow take pictures of one of mine to show you 😎

sbrown21

US Member - 2 Years

Randy, I pulled the gas tank and lo and behold from the back left jug H146 and right H145 . The motor seems to be all there except tiller handle , welsh water plug end of cyl and horn or something on the end of carb. Was this a South Bend motor ? The man that gave it to me said it was used to run whiskey across the Detriot river ( good story )
    sbrown 21

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 571
    Topics: 24

A Lincoln Head Penny will make a nice substitute for the water jacket plug. Find a nice old one.

I like the Whiskey story!

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Randy in Tampa

The carburetors originally came with the air horn they’re extremely hard to find, don’t remember where they’re made soon as I get home I’ll look at mine and let you know

stanley

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 114

I can’t help you with the casting numbers,but if the number stamped on the crankcase flange is read as 86284,it would be a 1928 motor crankcase.That would make it a P40,I believe,and likely a South Bend motor.According to my parts book the P35 and P45 had different carbs.The P35 carb is shown with P35 cast on the carb.Also the list shows the P40 having a release charger,but that might have just been the later ones.That’s all I got.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by stanley.

Randy in Tampa

The P 35 cylinders are unique to the motor, the P 40 and the early PR 40 are bushing motors, The later PR 40 and P 45 or roller bearing motors and have higher compression due to the cylinder heads being padded inside and the timing is different, it’s my understanding that they all use the same carburetor but I could be wrong again all mine my P 35, 3) P40s , and 3) PR 40s all have the same “P35” carburetor i’m not sure if there’s any differences , as for my 2) P 30s have a different carburetor, I do not own a P 45… Yet. Needless to say they are all cool motors and not common, get it running and enjoy it and then pass it on to someone else who will enjoy it …. as far as the compression relief goes I believe it came out in 1929 I have a PR with a compression release cylinder not sure if they came standard on the P 40 but I heard it was an available upgrade 🤔

sbrown21

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for the info I still not sure by your comments if it is a P35 or P40. the H146 and H145 casting numbers are they unique to the P35 ? the 86284 serial number would make it a P40 1928 back out to recheck serial numbers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.