Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 35hp RD19

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    tyson
    Participant

I am restoring a 1956 16.5 ft lyman and have acquired a 1957Johnson 35hp RD19 that I would like to put on the back of it.

What I am hearing is that the RD19 model is going to be a nightmare of a restoration cost-wise and complexity-wise due to availability of parts and the complexity of that specific model (pressurized tank…etc..?.) and could get into the thousands on cost.

Anyone have any experience with that motor? Does that sound right? The engine has been sitting for quite some time but it is NOT locked up and seems like it has compression (cord pulls and get a little grumble). Are there any similar year models Evinrude/Johnson that would be better targets to restore or have restored?

Thanks! I am a newbie with engines and any guidance is much appreciated..

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where did you hear that the RD19 is a nightmare? Most all parts are still available, except for cosmetic things. There are many of these engines around, shouldn’t be hard to find even the cosmetic stuff, especially in this club. Thousands to rejuvenate this engine is ridiculous as well, provided the powerhead and gearcase are sound.
        It is hard for me to give you a recommendation, you claim to be a newbie with engines, so I don’t want to recommend you take on this project without some qualified "help". I do not recommend letting a repair shop do the work, that WILL cost plenty of money, and most of today’s outboard techs have had next to no experience with these engines.
        There is nothing wrong with the pressurized tank system, parts and used tanks are available. For those who prefer the single line tank system, it is relatively simple to convert this engine to use a fuel pump/single line tank. I am assuming this engine is manual start, finding good wiring harness’ can be difficult.
        So, I guess I haven’t really answered your questions very well. But, I certainly disagree with claims that this engine is a nightmare to rejuvenate, and all the common repair parts are available, most others can be found used or NOS as well. No matter what engine you decide on, it will need some solid servicing on all systems to be a reliable daily runner. The Johnson RD series were rugged and reliable. Needless to say, this engine should be checked over carefully prior to purchase to make sure it is basically sound. Taking on an older engine like this in need of powerhead or major gearcase work is not a good idea, especially if you have had little outboard mechanical experience.
        I don’t recommend taking on an engine that you would want to restore cosmetically, unless you are experienced with prepping and painting.
        Perhaps there is a member in your area that can help you decide. Can you post pictures of the boat/engine?
        Don

phil-b
        Participant

Here’s an index to the series of web articles that convinced me that even *I* could work on old outboards:

http://www.omc-boats.org/maxw.html

opposedtwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

They are plentiful (so parts won’t be an issue) and they’re pretty straight forward to work on. Don’t be dissuaded from taking it on. All your questions can be answered here on this awesome site!

frankr
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

One of the most popular outboards being restored.

tyson
              Participant

Thanks all for the replies. Don I will snap some pics this weekend, the engine is in port Clinton Ohio and I am in bay village on the west side of Cleveland but will be heading out there sunday.

I sought out the rd19 because I love the way they look and it will look amazing on the back of this Lyman when done. I just started to fear that i would be opening a can of worms that I may not be qualified to open and don’t want to dump a ton of money into it.

Thanks again

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, no one can argue with the cosmetic appeal of these engines, and it sounds like the perfect period correct engine for the boat as well. How much does the seller want for the engine? Does it run now? Take some pictures, I can help you post them if needed. You will want to make sure the engine is the proper shaft length for you boat though. I am "assssuming" your Lyman takes a standard length/short shaft/15" engine, and the engine you are looking at will be the same, but I sure don’t want to overlook this important consideration.
                  Hopefully, a local member can help you out. I do agree with being conservative though, don’t over pay for the engine, and don’t over-estimate your mechanical abilities. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and hearing more about the engine, be sure to take pics with the cover on and off, along with shots of the gearcase.
                  Sounds like a great project that will provide plenty of enjoyment. D

vintin
                  Participant

The RD19 is an outdated clunker, and ugly too!

Private message me your address and I’ll make the trip and see to it that it gets recycled properly. 😀

johnny-infl
                    Participant

The ’58 35 Sea Horse is my favorite motor.
                      The last one I had was in 1978 or so and been on the hunt
                      for a "good" one ever since. Hopefully I can find one like
                      yours that needs limited work to get it running and trustworthy.
                      Have Fun with it !!

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … on.html#/0

good book to have

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.