Johnson 35hp RD19

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 35hp RD19

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)

• billy-j

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 154
    Topics: 22

Tyson. Check your private message. Bill,

david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Tyson,

The person who gave you the information on your motor has probably never worked on one of that vintage. While one could spend thousands for a complete, perfect, Trailer Queen restoration, you should be able to have a very nice dependable motor for your Lyman at much less cost.

and PS, Pressure tanks Rock!!!

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

I’ve also got a ’57 RD on my "Someday Rack"
    I think the ’57 Johnson’s and Evinrude’s are the best looking years.
    The biggest problem with that RD, it’s a heavy sucker!
    Good Luck with your motor.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

beerman57

Replies: 596
    Topics: 126

I have an RDE19 fortunately, I know they have compression release, but just how hard are they to pull over?

tyson, they aren’t hard to work on, but if the spark plug wires look old at all, just go ahead and replace them.

vintin

Replies: 580
    Topics: 19
    quote beerman57:

I have an RDE19 fortunately, I know they have compression release, but just how hard are they to pull over?

tyson, they aren’t hard to work on, but if the spark plug wires look old at all, just go ahead and replace them.

I’m running a RDE19 on my Feather Craft Vagabond. The motor takes a good tug to get it running. Remember to pull the starter cord out six or so inches so the compression release system goes into operation. Remember too that the starter cord length needs to be exact so the compression release system is not activated when the motor is running. Any time the air temp outside is 80°F or so no choke is needed. You will find it to your advantage to discover which choke settings work best for warm and cool starting, so fool around with it some. Make sure the throttle is advanced some as at it’s lowest setting the motor can be hard to start. As always………..make sure the motor is in NEUTRAL!…even though there is a safety interlock preventing advanced throttle setting while pull starting….you never know if the system has been fooled with. Even though I’m set up to electric start I often pull start just so I’m familiar with the technique. Of course having the motor in peak tune always makes starting easier.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51
    quote beerman57:

Needless to say, it would be easy for the green impossible hulk to crank, but very difficult for others. What Vin tin said about neutral is important, because most people would stand up so they can haul on the rope. If the shift is in forward, the boat is likely to run out from under you. Same thing applies to the safety interlock on the recoil and the electric starter safety switch. Do not defeat nor ignore any safety devices.

lindy46

Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

I "refurbished" a 1957 Lark (basically the same engine) which I picked up for $100 – for about $250 which included all new ignition parts and wires, carb rebuild and fuel lines, reseal of the lower unit, a new clutch dog and a new impeller. That also included new paint and a few badges. So for $350 I had a motor that looked and ran like new. Ran it for about 6 years with no problems before I sold it. Great old motors!

seakaye12

Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

1957 was such a sweet year for Johnson; eh?

1956 Wasn’t bad either 🙂

reivertom

Replies: 790
    Topics: 40

Was the person who told you that trying to sell you a newer motor by any chance? I’d trust my ’57 to do anything a new motor can do, but just a tad slower……but I can fix most anything on it myself out of my tool box, which I can’t do with most of the new motors. That boat needs a classic motor!

rjoynt

Replies: 140
    Topics: 26

Tyson, I am east of Cleveland and have a Lyman 16-1/2 with a 35 Johnson on it. I sent you a private message with my phone number. Give me a jingle.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.