Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson 5.5 HP seahorse 1958 cd 15

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    JonathanSutton
    Participant

To all the folks that responded to my email, again I would like to thank you all so much, such great answers, detailed and most of all vey informative, I was going to sell the motor over concerns about the cruise a day tank and lines, but now have the confidence to run the motor, fingers crossed it truly is in as good a shape I have led to believe it is, great forum much appreciated.

sincerely

Jonathan Sutton.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the adventure is contagious… you may want to repair more oldies  after this one   be warned 🙂

on your5.5.try to verify  the compression before making  $$ investments .   sometimesa shot of WD40 …some time to soak the rings will give you  75lbs and  up… the higher the better of course.

the book CHEAP OUTBOARDS … is very good reading and confidence builder.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        JonathanSutton
        Participant

Before I do my first test start, are you guys using zero ethanol gas  or just regular 87 octane ?

Mumbles
          Participant

Marked gas here.  Its ethanol free and mid grade. There’s no need to run premium gas in any old outboards as they don’t have enough compression to warrant it.

JonathanSutton
            Participant

I have no idea were to buy marked gas in my neighborhood, ethanol or zero ethanol which is preferred, I can get zero ethanol at the shell station but it is premium only although not required as you state would it be an issue.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have no choice for my  75hp ETEC … which runs fine on 87 octane and ethanol … but  when I store it for winter  I take no chances for 6 months of storage  I fill up  and circulate ethanol free gas …. high octane stuff $$$$$$ + EVinrude 2+4d  conditionner .    17  years now and no  gas problems with my ETEC  🙂

high octane will work in your engine   but   although there is much hype about ethanol  I never had issues with it  …just burn 87   and for peace of mind if you need it  throw in some gas saver  juice   for “ethanol”  and go fishing .

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

JonathanSutton
                Participant

love it , its about time someone told me to just go fishing, be well everyone, Jonathan.

May 1st for Pike on my part of the bay.

Steve A W
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here is a link for Pure Gas website.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Member of the MOB chapter.
                    I live in Northwest Indiana

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.