Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A-25 driveshaft removal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hirschlt37
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Need to repair my A-25, trying to remove the drive by pulling the brass tube up while the drive shaft is still attached to the lower unit….does this work? It doesn’t want to come off….and I don’t want to force it…thanks, Gary

Tom
      Participant

You should be able to pull the lower unit by removing the three screws at the bottom of the leg, loosening the water tube between the pump and the inlet in the leg, and removing the anti-ventilation plate.

Is the crankcase removed? If not, the driveshaft could be stuck in the bottom of the crank. Unlikely due to the design of this motor, but possible.

Is there any movement at all? If you can pull it down a few inches, the drive key at the top of the driveshaft may be hanging up on the water tube(s) inside the large brass tube (the leg) as you try to drop the lower unit. Use a flashlight and watch from the top with the crankcase removed. Be careful with those tubes.

Is the water line disconnected from the water pump or the fitting going into the leg? If not, it’ll hang up.

Is the anti-ventilation plate loose from the leg? I believe you can disconnect the curved piece from the foot casting if you can’t get the anti-ventilation plate or the curved guard loose from the leg.

keep us posted…

Tom

hirschlt37
        Participant

Tom, thanks for quick reply…the power head is removed, the pump is disconnected, as is the cavitation plate, 3 screws. The drive shaft is loose in the tube/leg, meaning I can move it around, and I see where it could interfere with the 2 water tubes. The drive shaft top still has what looks like a blade in it; which doesn’t look like it would interfere if turned correctly. At the bottom with the 3 screws are remove and the tube/leg partially rotates on the lower unit…but you can’t move it up. Do you think I should use a little more force? seems like it should start to come off? The tube/leg was brazed at one point but doesn’t look like it is causing a problem…what next???

hirschlt37
          Participant

Tom; also noticed a collar(?) on the driveshaft…about 1/2 way down….is the normal? could be why I can’t get it out?? Guess next move is to go in remove the prop, and remove the gear so it can come out through the top…

Goman
            Participant

From what I remember there is a gear connected to the driveshaft inside the gear casing. Above this gear is a thin metal collar that can be spread apart. Behind the collar is a pin that needs to be pushed out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.