Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A 35

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    Participant

US Member

I picked up a Johnson A 35 today at the 50th Anniversary meet in Winter Haven Florida. 😀 😀 😀 😀

It’s very cool, but…

It’s stuck… 😕

So I filled the cylinders with penetrating oil, and put it in a corner for ‘later’.

I know a bunch of you have been down this road before, so I would love some suggestions/advise on how to get her apart.

And then, once I get her apart, what do I do about the guts (rings, pistons, cylinders, etc) that are probably damaged from the seizure/rust?

Thanks everyone!
      Rob

Rob

b-morrison
      Participant

Canada Member

I’ve used 50/50 transmission fluid and lacquer thinners and let it set hours, days but usually works . parts may just need cleaning….depends. goodluck.

Rob
        Participant

US Member

Thanks B.Morrison! I’ll definitely try the 50/50 mix!

I guess my question goes a little further than that. I got all the screws out of the cylinders but the cylinders aren’t budging at all. I guess I am asking about how I should I go about ‘persuading’ the cylinders off of the pistons/rings. I tried heating the cylinder with propane which didn’t help at all; the cylinders didn’t move at all. Then, I used a block of wood and a hammer and tried tapping on the side of the cylinders but that didn’t accomplish anything. I feel that just blatantly beating on this thing with a hammer and a block of wood is counter productive. So I guess what I am asking is; what technique I should employ to get this motor apart? I don’t mind taking it slow, I just want to move in the right direction without breaking more than I have to. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks!
          Rob

Rob

david-bartlett
          Participant

Rob,

One of the members here, Lloyd Lautner, suggests using a large volume of hot water. Either pour it over the outside, or submerge the cylinder in a big pot. The idea is that with a large volume of water, you get more rapid heat transfer/expansion than with a small source like a torch, etc.

Then give it a couple taps with a rubber mallet.

The Boat House
            Participant

Sent you a PM.
              Check your messages
              at the top of this page.

greg-o
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I also have one that is stuck. I have been soaking it now for several years. When I get time and motivation, what I am thiniking of doing is take an old spark plug, gut it out and fabricate it so I can screw a grease fitting into it, then screw it into the spark plug hole, and start pumping grease. I should probably do both cylinders at the same time. I realize once the pistons hit the ports they will not move any further, but a least I will be able to get them to move.

2fast4me
                Participant

Well the mercury KD-4 came home with me. Stuck. I tried penitrating oil for days, no help. So i removed the cylinder holdown hardware and fabricated an adapter from an old spark plug, pipe, coupling and grease zerk and pumped away. The cylinder started moving but was tight all the way out. The rings are all stuck in the lands everything was covered with varnish. I don’t think mine would have come apart without extreme intervention.

2Fast4Me

The Boat House
                  Participant

Greg O
                    Sent you a PM.
                    Check your messages
                    at the top of this page.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.