Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A-45 Strange Prop

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    steveh
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Picked up a ‘new’ motor, a Johnson A-45. I’ve never worked on one of these little gems. It has 70 psi in each cylinder. Missing/broken tiller arm. Anything in particular I should know/be aware of before I start tearing into it?

The prop looked strange. On closer inspection, it looks like an aftermarket thing? Says "Wendt Mfg, Co. Little Falls Mn" on the one blade, and "Johnson 3-4 Pat Jan 12, 28" Any info on what this is and what it’s for?

I thought the Ohio Division of Parks 1958 tag was pretty cool.

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Amazing I just found a Lockwood 72T with the same thing.They are a trolling plate.They cut down the efficiency of the prop to produce lower speeds.The spring loaded flaps are designed to provide more blockage of the prop as the speed increases.They are easily removable (as you probably discovered) by lifting the holding wires.They were made to fit specific motors,so your motor is probably stamped on the Plate.There is an add I found on line that shows one being installed on what looks like your motor.Where did you find your motor?I got mine in Minn.As your photo shows,They were made in Little Falls Minn.Wonder how many were sold?

opposedtwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

this one was on ebay a few years ago. I bid but it went too high. they’re unique. love the hand stamping on them.

steveh
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine who knows I like old outboards picked it up at a garage sale in Geneva Ohio for me for $50. Then he called me, told me about it, and said I could have it for what he paid, and if I didn’t want it he’d just resell it. Of course, he told me it was a 5 horse from 1945…

What did that trolling plate go for in the ebay auction?

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

i would have no idea. it’s been too long ago. i think that one went high because it was NOS and for the oa-65 model which is much more rare than the A-45. i might be interested in yours if you’re looking to sell it or trade for some A-45 parts. i have many parts for those motors.

I’d say you did pretty well for $50. have fun with it, they’re pretty cool to work on.

scott

chris-p
              Participant

I just bought a Martin with the EXACT same Ohio division of parks tag, 1958. Strange.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.