Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A-50 vs K-50

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    APL
    Participant

US Member

What are the visual differences between these two models? They look identical to me. I have an A-50 and a parts motor that has a K-50 flywheel but otherwise looks identical. I don’t know what to make of it. Intrigued me.

Mumbles
      Participant

Going by this illustration, I’d say they are basically the same externally but that’s where the similarity seems to end. A-50 is 4 HP while the K-50 is rated at 8. The K-50 also has larger bore and stroke plus a larger gas tank.

I dio have a parts book and I should check and see what parts they share.

A-50-K-50

A50K50

APL
        Participant

US Member

Bore and stroke differences were my thought too. I also would have expected the carburetor throat to be larger on the K-50.

Thanks for confirming that I wasn’t overlooking something obvious. We are dealing with merely 90 year old outboards here, who knows what parts have been repclaced over the years to keep them running (I was thinking that may be the case with the K flywheel on the A motor).

I guess I’ll have to tear into them and report back my findings to help the next guy who finds himself asking this question.

squierka39
          Participant

US Member

Visually the A powerhead should look smaller, maybe you have a K rope shieve on an A motor? If you have the two next to each other, as mumbles stated, the tank is smaller, it should be noticeable. Also, pick them up. Then you’ll notice a difference.
            I will say it’s hard to tell when you see one in a picture without a caption though

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by squierka39.
            APL
            Participant

US Member

The two motors I have look identical.. my thought is the rope shieve from a K motor is on an a motor..

squierka39
              Participant

US Member

Can you take a picture or two?

APL
                Participant

US Member

I will tomorrow. Any specific pictures that would assist?

squierka39
                  Participant

US Member

Just side by side, from the rear and front should work.

APL
                    Participant

US Member

APL
                      Participant

US Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.