Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson A & A25 Plug and Points Setting ????

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    spike
    Participant

.When searching through early Johnson A materials I found they call for a point setting of.016 and a plug gap of .020. Later info calls for a point setting of .020 and a plug gap of .030.
      I am sure this is correct, but why the difference in the settings? I have both Champion C-7 plugs and the replacement Champion D-16. For those who run their A motors what settings do you use that perform the best with which plug type? Thanks for any input and/or advice!

stanley
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I set points at .020 and plugs .030.I use NOS C7 spark plugs.I run a A25 quite a bit,and it performs well with these recommendations..

Tom
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

For the Johnson A motors (and others) there is a mark struck in the bottom of the flywheel rim. And two marks cast into the bottom of the mag plate, near the mag lever. When these marks line up, the points should just start opening. I’ve relied on this method of setting the points rather than by gap, unless a previous owner has really moved the points around enough that the gap is way off when wide open.

T

The Boat House
          Participant

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.