Johnson / Evinrude Trailering Tilt pin

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson / Evinrude Trailering Tilt pin

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Steve Martin

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 157
    Topics: 28

Anyone have a picture?

kirkp

Replies: 240
    Topics: 16

Something like this?
    Kirk

safety-brkt-2

safety-brkt-1

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Here’s mine:

100_1793

100_1795

Steve Martin

Replies: 157
    Topics: 28

Thanks!

need2fish

Replies: 281
    Topics: 15

If I may opine….

I see many weekenders bouncing down the interstate with their motors tilted up high. As I follow them I see each dip in the road followed by a bob of the outboard lower unit. Sometimes the drivers are well over the speed limits, causing more vigorous bobbing.

I’m sure that up-and-down action flexes the transom, tilt mech and possibly the clamps. I acknowledge that similar flexing occurs when the boat is on the water, but I can’t help but be concerned about what all that out-of-water torquing does to the structural health of my boats. My family has a gorgeous Gt150 Glastron (James Bond) boat whose transom needs constant attention because of the years it’s been trailered about with the motor up (yes, the 115 hp OMC adds to the problem) and my ’65 Shell Lake had to have a 1/4 sheet of aluminum epoxied to the transom. Again, I believe the stresses of highway trailering with the motor up played a big part in the structural issues.

I get it — no one wants to bang their l/u on the pavement, but when I look at the clearance between the bottom of the skeg, there’s often a foot or more. The tilt locks were meant for beaching a boat or berthing it in shallow water. IMHO we should be advising anyone we see with the motor up that they are risking damage to their boat.

….. Sound of Ken stepping off his soapbox…..

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Note that mine is in the lowest possible hole, limiting the amount of tilt when trailering. Secret: I didn’t put it on there for trailering, but for a shallow water drive. It actually doesn’t work too well for that, (too much tilt) but it’s an idea somebody might think about.

David Bartlett

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 573
    Topics: 24

If I may opine….

I see many weekenders bouncing down the interstate with their motors tilted up high. As I follow them I see each dip in the road followed by a bob of the outboard lower unit. Sometimes the drivers are well over the speed limits, causing more vigorous bobbing.

I’m sure that up-and-down action flexes the transom, tilt mech and possibly the clamps. I acknowledge that similar flexing occurs when the boat is on the water, but I can’t help but be concerned about what all that out-of-water torquing does to the structural health of my boats. My family has a gorgeous Gt150 Glastron (James Bond) boat whose transom needs constant attention because of the years it’s been trailered about with the motor up (yes, the 115 hp OMC adds to the problem) and my ’65 Shell Lake had to have a 1/4 sheet of aluminum epoxied to the transom. Again, I believe the stresses of highway trailering with the motor up played a big part in the structural issues.

I get it — no one wants to bang their l/u on the pavement, but when I look at the clearance between the bottom of the skeg, there’s often a foot or more. The tilt locks were meant for beaching a boat or berthing it in shallow water. IMHO we should be advising anyone we see with the motor up that they are risking damage to their boat.

….. Sound of Ken stepping off his soapbox…..

Ken,

I totally agree. Mine get trailered in the down position.

David Bartlett
    Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1067
    Topics: 72

Yup, motor needs to be down and locked. Railroad tracks are the worst! That is if there is enough clearance to the road. I guess those load bearing rod thingie’s are suppose to work. The ones that go from the lower unit of the motor to the trailer when the motor is tilted. Don’t know much about them. Strapping them on might be a challenge.

dale

won’t be long now! get’em wet don’t let’em set!

Tinman

Replies: 355
    Topics: 77

I use a transom saver on all my motors and it works great. Without the power tilt on these old motors I just ratchet strap the motor back down to the trailer. Puts pressure on the motor to keep it from coming out of the transom saver bracket.

rudefan29070

Replies: 31
    Topics: 11

The pin I have looks like the one Frankr posted. I mainly want some made up as my skeg is way to close to the ground when hanging these motors off of my aluminum boat. Small tires on the trailer play a part in this I believe.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.