Home Forum Ask A Member johnson K50 8hp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wilson
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The fuel line connection to the carb base solder joint is broken free. Would it be better to tap threads and use a compression fitting or try and resolder it?
      Do not want it to leak when I get it back together and on the water soon
      Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
      turned off?

mondobug
      Participant

I would solder it because you could always do the other if it doesn’t work out. Mine looks like someone re-soldered it and I’ve thought about neatening it up – but it’s holding so I don’t know. It also has a drain valve (like one of those T valves on a radiator) inline with compression fittings between the ballcock and the carb to drain the tank and carb bowl. It’s old but I suspect that it’s not original to the motor. I find it more convenient than the drain screw so that may be something to consider.

The drain valve, the re-soldered joint, spark plug wires, condensers and the rubber tiller grip are really the only things I suspect are not original to the 1930 K50. The grip is from an Elgin but I’m thinking Elgin bicycle – not outboard. I may try to find a correct replacement. Sorry for the long answer but I’m also just days away from trying it on the water so I’m stoked.

Doug Wilson
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have the magneto off to replace plug wires and condensers and going to coat the float and check the rest of the carb. and reattach the fuel line, this week. Then should be ready to test it. Looking forward to getting it on the water, I have an A-50 4hp that I did last year runs great.

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
          turned off?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.