Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Opposed Twin question(s)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    david-bartlett
    Participant

This is not quite outboard related, but close! Please humor me.

Many years ago, I inherited this Pacific Pumper fire pump from my grandfather. He had a camp on an island and used it for fire protection. I can remember when I was a boy he had it all apart in his workshop at his camp with some sort of ignition trouble. He died about 25 years ago, and when we were cleaning out his barn, this pump was under a bench in the corner.

I played with it back then, and found it had one bad coil. This website was not around then, and in fact there was not much in the way of resources for this kind of engine at all. I mickey-moused a coil from another old motor to the mag plate and actually got it to run on all 4 cylinders. Man is it loud with straight pipes.

Anyway, I would like to actually find the correct coil if possible, so I am asking for help to see if anyone knows what model Johnson used the same coil, pints, etc.

Take a look at some of the pictures and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

David

It is actually two twins bolted together

Carb and intake manifold

oldelto
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I have same pumper as yours. I think your coil is same as 1925-1926 Johnson model A-25. I don’t have my reference book with me.
        Any one in club may have info on coil.

r-c
        Participant

Lifetime Member

You learn something new everyday! I never saw two A powerbeads combined like that as a pump. A well done job from the looks of it. I have seen Evinrude row boat powerheads used, Elto Ruddertwin, Evinrude Sportfour and of course the more famous Hanybilly pump during WW-II with a Johnson K type powerhead. Don’t want to leave out the beast, the P-500 Johnson made in WW-II based on the 4-60 powerhead.
          Looks like any model A or OA coil is the replacement you want. However it looks like you have a later PO type coil and that should work for you and seems to do, so leave it alone…maybe. Doug Penn is a good source for parts. Check the links for his contact.

oldelto
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Pacific Marine Supply also sold pumpers with Johnson powerheads, 2 cyl opposed and 4 cyl opposed in early days. Then 2 cyl alternative like model K-50 or KA later. Yes, Doug Penn is the man you need to get in touch for parts.

david-bartlett
            Participant

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. It is a pretty neat little motor/pump unit. The coil covered with tape is the one I replaced many years back.

R.C., I have seen one of the P-500 units in action, Very impressive.

Thanks, David

david-bartlett
              Participant
                quote oldelto:

I have same pumper as yours. I think your coil is same as 1925-1926 Johnson model A-25. I don’t have my reference book with me.
                Any one in club may have info on coil.

Oldelto,

I am curious as to the serial # on your pump. Mine is N4592. "N" being the model #. My motor has the rope sheeve from N4594 on it, but the rest of the unit is stamped 4592 in several places.

kayaker2
                Participant

US Member

Just Acquired a Johnson Seahorse PO-15. and it is mighty oily. The paint looks pretty good and the decals are nice. What can I use to degrease without harming the paint and decals.
                  Kayakler2

oldelto
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

To david Bartlett

My motor is in storage and I won’t be able to check it probably till summertime. There is another pumper belongs to local club member. I think I have some pictures of it. Will dig into my file and let you know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.