Johnson Outboard Motor

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Outboard Motor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

• dbacken85

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

Found an old Johnson motor in grandfather’s shed. Was wondering what the value was for it. It says “sea horse 5 1/2. Attaching picture.

20190323_121908

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mumbles.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

1958, looks nice. A desirable motor among collectors. Condition and location are everything.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Unfortunately, old outboards really don’t have much value….
    Do you have a boat that you can use it on, or would you prefer to find it a good home?
    Like Frank says, condition is everything…Is the engine’s fuel tank still there also? If so, look inside to see if it is clean….These engines use special fuel tanks, so having a clean tank will help increase the engine’s value. But, if the tank is rusted/fouled inside, it is worthless.
    No matter how nice physically the engine might be, it will need considerable servicing to make it a: reliable daily runner….
    The ignition system, fuel system, water pump, and gearcase will all need to be inspected and serviced.
    The engine surely “looks to be” in nice cosmetic condition which will help its value….
    So, I would “guesstimate” its possible value in the range of $100-$400 depending on all the issues I mentioned.
    Where are you located? Perhaps there is a club member nearby who might be interested….
    Don

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

In my area a 5.5hp would be worth about $100 to $150 or so in that condition, not running.

After a full tune up, and running with a tank in the $250 to $350 range.

Hope that helps.

As mentioned, not a lot of value. Probably more sentimental value as it was your Grandfathers! Might want to keep it for that reason alone, and get it running. Lots of knowledgeable members on the forum that can help you out.

dbacken85

Replies: 1
    Topics: 1

I do have the fuel tank. Havent looked to see the inside condition. And I’m located outside of Memphis, TN. I didnt think it would hold much value. Just not sure if we want to put the money into restoring it at this time.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well, it would surely make a lovely decorative piece as well, perhaps in a man cave or den area. Just remove the plugs add some oil to the cylinders then crank the engine over to spread it around. Do a nice wax job to the hood, try to avoid the decals though. Be very careful with the plastic emblem on the front of the hood, it is easily cracked and hard to find.
    If the inside of the tank is in good shape, add some two stroke/lightweight oil inside and swish it around. Do not store the tank on a concrete/cement floor, hold it off the ground with a couple of short 2x4s. Use some of the oil on a rag to apply a protective coating to the outside of the tank.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

that hood & body should look like a million bucks with some light rubbing compound and 2 coats of car wax..

has stated careful with the decals and plaques

why not start yourself a nice hobby…. . if the tank is shot you can always convert the motor to a fuel pump or… find a good 2 line gas tank

the book CHEAP OUTBOARDSs will tell you all you need to know … including mounting a fuel pump if you go that way

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24088031-cheap-outboards

if the engine is not seized (could be just stuck but not seized) I m certain Grandpa took good care of it by the looks of it …..$150 will get you a great smooth trolling motor

lots of utubes and help available !!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by crosbyman.

olcah

Replies: 566
    Topics: 94

If a tank is not terribly rusty it can be saved by a simple electrolysis method. I think the original two line tank is simpler than running with a fuel pump. They work very well.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

Just a question of choice … pumps are not that hard to do , they work fine , not expensive and easy to fix

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

If the tank is not rusty inside and holds pressure (let it sit in the sun awhile and then loosen the cap and see if you hear pressure releasing)the tank could be worth up to $100.

I’ve got a couple of those 5-1./2 HP motors. They were made in that configuration with changes in the color of the case from 1954-1958. They continued into the mid-1960s with changes to a single line tank and a thermostat in the cooling system.
    Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.