Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson POs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jpe1965
    Participant

Have two Johnson PO outboards that belonged to my father. They haven’t been started in a few years (thinking about 5 or so) and would like to sell them. Am unsure as to how to exactly proceed as I would like the listing to be accurate, however, I am guessing they would need some TLC/tuneup to run. Here are some pictures of them for reference. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_8782

IMG_8787

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
      Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

At the minimum, your should state whether or not they turn over with compression,
        or if the engines are stuck.
        Also note any missing or broken parts, or welded repairs.
        Location will probably dictate the asking price.
        They’re fun engines to run, and not worth a fortune, so many in the club would probably buy one.
        Put a free For Sale ad on the website’s classifieds.

Prepare to be boarded!

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Johnson PO’s are quite common and heavy. Both those things negatively affect value. However, the PO makes up for these short comings by being a reliable antique outboard that will put a smile on your face every time you run it. My opinion is to always post as many good quality photos as possible. The model and serial number are on the rope sheave on top of the motor. That will tell us what year your motor is. You can post that info here and we’ll tell you what it is.

The other way to go is to get the motors running yourself and enjoy then. They are surprisingly easy to get running.

https://youtu.be/VT9WNaGWFnM

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Mumbles
          Participant

8:1 fuel mix! Yes, that was eight to one.

jpe1965
            Participant

Thank you very much for the comments. Much appreciated. I know my father had mentioned they weren’t worth a lot, but am sure he would have wanted someone to enjoy them as he did for so many years. I will check the compression and do a more thorough inspection of the parts. Thinking local is probably best. Thank you again.

David Bartlett
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Where are you located? That will help generate interest.

As Wayne said, they are heavy, but I find the “Fun to Weight” ratio to be favorable. A total blast to run!

David Bartlett
                Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

jpe1965
                Participant

Located just north of Chicago. Gleview, IL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.