Johnson RDE-17R?

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson RDE-17R?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 54 total)

• Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298
    quote crosbyman:

Mumbles could you do an actual current draw … in series…. measurement of that coil under a 6 volt supply.

at .9 ohm coil resistance with a 6volt supply would draw 6.6 amps…. seems like a lot ..maybe

Sorry, I’m not set up for six volts so I can’t do that test. 😥

It was mentioned in Dockside that the solenoids draw .3 amps but that might be for a 12 volt one.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10085

The solenoid in the pictures is probably OK as there is a metal cap on the end of them and no electrical connection at this end. I’m thinking the solenoid wasn’t positioned properly and the choke linkage may have been hitting it putting a dent in the insulating or sealing material on it.

Attachments:

wyo307

Replies: 141
    Topics: 40

Thank you guys! I will make sure to check the position when it gets reinstalled! I also like the light bulb Idea I will have to try that. I have been enjoying this old girl so far. Here are some pictures of some of my progress so far:

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Looking good!

Just a little tip on the mag wiring but the green one to the points can be tucked in behind the condenser to keep it away from the flywheel. The leads on some aftermarket coils come too long so now I shorten the black one and crimp a new terminal on it.

Attachments:

wyo307

Thanks Mumbles! I will tuck that wire in. I was planning on shortening the black wires as you said already.

wyo307

Can someone please explain to me how to get the Autolite starter apart so that I can clean it? I need to clean at least the brushes I am assuming. It was locked up but broke free fairly easily. Also what is the specified gap on the points and plugs on this motor? 0.20 and 0.30? And what is the flywheel torque? It is beginning to look like a motor again.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Remove the thru-bolts and pull it apart.
    .020" and .030. And 60-65 Foot pounds.

wyo307

Thank you FrankR! That is what I was thinking it just wasn’t wanting to come apart so before I started to use some force I wanted to check here. Does the armature come out the bottom or the top?

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

I guess I sort of oversimplified it. Remove the band and peek inside. You will see the brushes and make a decision on where to go from there. If you do decide to take it apart, the top plate, Bendix, and armature will come out the top, all in one chunk. Removing the bottom plate gives access to the brushes and lower bearing. When you put it back together, you will have to deal with those darn brushes and springs. Hint: hook the springs on top of the brush holders so they aren’t pushing on the brushes. Once you get the bottom back on, release the springs.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

long wires from coil to point’s terminal screw…..

I used a mini tye wrap to loop and tuck the wire behind the condenser that way I am certain it wont rub against anything

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

wyo307

Thank you again FrankR and crosbyman!

I had some luck getting the starter apart last night. Now that it is all apart I will clean everything and then put it back together so hopefully I will have a working starter. When I pulled the bottom ring everything was covered in rust and it was locked up due to this as well. One question I do have is are there any parts of this that are supposed to be magnetized? All of the small electric motors that I have ever worked on have had magnetized parts to them that you could get a screw driver to stick to and this one doesn’t. It just makes me worry that something is a miss.

As far as the wire leads on the coils I plan on tucking them away when my new plug wires get here (couldn’t believe that I couldn’t find solid core plug wire anywhere in town) so hopefully I will be trying to start this old girl soon.

One other question is what size fuel and vacuum lines does this motor use?

Thank you again everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.