Johnson Rds-20

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Rds-20

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• john8504

Replies: 169
    Topics: 31

I have twin 1958 Johnson Rds-20 that I am going to start bringing back to life tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a service manual for this motor?

It has manual locking tilt (I’m assuming for trailering in the up position. It has been in the up position for over a decade and I cannot get the pin to pull out and release the motor. I’ve tried a propane torch and pliers with no avail. This is with me assuming the pin needs to pulled out and not push in.

Any help would be appreciated.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Yes, pull it out to release it. But first take the pressure off it by slightly over-tilting the motor.

john8504

How do you remedy it being seized? I’ve tried a propane torch and an induction heater to get the rod super hot

outbdnut2

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91

Have you tried penetrating oil? I’ve never seen one of those stuck. After letting penetrating oil soak, try tapping it with a hammer to break it loose. If you apply heat, it’s not the rod you want to heat, it’s the surrounding housing you want to heat to expand.
    Dave

john8504

I’ve pul a Teflon lube on there but haven’t gotten it free yet. I pulled handle off and I’m going to try to use a make shift slide hammer to pull it out while someone lifts up in motor

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

I have twin 1958 Johnson Rds-20 that I am going to start bringing back to life tomorrow. Does anyone happen to have a service manual for this motor?

It has manual locking tilt (I’m assuming for trailering in the up position. It has been in the up position for over a decade and I cannot get the pin to pull out and release the motor. I’ve tried a propane torch and pliers with no avail. This is with me assuming the pin needs to pulled out and not push in.

Any help would be appreciated.

this site has all the info you need..

http://www.xxxxxxx/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html replace the xxxxx with boatinfo.no

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

http://www.boatinfo.ca/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html JUST REPLACE the SHORT suffix .ca with letters no

this site auto purges that site link and this is how it can be tricked into not seeing it in its edit profile

click on the stack of books

click on the johnson index then click on the johnson red book

the info is pretty identical to johnson and evinrudes oldies

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by crosbyman.

john8504

I tried what you said and it doesn’t work for me.

kirkp

Replies: 240
    Topics: 16

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html

worked for me.
    Kirk

kirkp

Replies: 240
    Topics: 16
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.