Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Sea Horse 10

• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by lloyd.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bevanchak
    Participant

Hi, I am not an enthusiast, however, while cleaning out my father-in-law’s garage attic, I came upon what appears to be a green 1954 Johnson Sea Horse 10. It has literally been stored for decades and I do not know with certainty if it starts. That said, it is in fantastic condition and based on its condition, I believe that someone knowledgeable with outboard motors could get it up and working. I came upon this site and thought that I would ask if anyone can advise me on its possible value or if there may be any interest in it. It’d be great for someone to be able to enjoy it.

IMG_4238

IMG_4241

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
      amuller
      Participant

It looks outstanding. Easiest and most important test: Does it turn over or is it locked up. What happens when you pull on the starter rope handle?

Is there a tank with it?

I would not expect it to run without the ignition being serviced: points cleaned and adjusted; very likely new coils and condensers. This would be routine for an old OMC motor. Would need a new water pump impeller.

Generally speaking these motors don’t have a lot of value simply because there are so many of them around. In Minnesota, $50-100 for an average example. But yours looks above average–original unrestored. Gotten running, and with a matching tank, could possibly fetch several hundred.

Others here will know better than I.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by amuller.
        tinkerman
        Participant

US Member

What part of the country are you in?

It's a jungle out there.

bevanchak
          Participant

Pittsburgh, PA

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Wow, what a beauty. That one should be worth some extra $$$.

tinkerman
              Participant

US Member

lol title out of my driving range but sure looks like a good one, as long as the internals are good

It's a jungle out there.

Randy in Tampa
                Participant

That really is nice, if it was in Florida I would buy it from you in a heartbeat 😏

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

benji41
                  Participant

US Member

Me too Randy

Jim Benjamin

olcah
                    Participant

US Member

I normally have no use for motors that are not run but that one looks like it dropped out of the 1950s dealer showroom. Not worth real big $$ but it It belongs in a museum. If there is a marine/boat museum in your area I suggest it should be offered to them.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Normally oldies go for 50-75-100$ that one is superb and could fetch $200 easy or more

try to sell it on EBAY …start at $600 you never know They do need $125-150$ worth of refurbish for the carb , electricals, pump, maybe a gearcase reseal if you do the work

really nice motor

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.