Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Seahorse TN28 Timing off?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    mikele86
    Participant

Hey guys, been working on my TN28 for months now (little bit at a time), everything, at least I think, is complete and put back together properly… only issue is I can’t get this motor to start or even pop.. its getting spark on both wires, its getting fuel (had a problem with the float, but solved now), and their is great compression. Could the timing be off? I installed an entire new ignition system on it. I can’t seem to figure out why its still not firing at all… any thoughts?? TIA!

Mumbles
      Participant

Are you sure the spark plug wires aren’t reversed?

mikele86
        Participant
          quote Mumbles:

Are you sure the spark plug wires aren’t reversed?

Checked that as well.. still nothing

bob-d
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I would recheck the float to check its not flooding.
            Had a Elto Pal that I was getting spark using a spark checker, but would not start. Turned out the plug was bad. Maybe new plugs?
            Bob D

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How about a resistance check on the coils?

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Never too old to learn, another member demonstrated to me how those things can be hard to start if not sitting level. If the lower unit is kicked out (like partially tilted), the primer fuel just runs out instead of into the rotary valve. Something to think about anyway. I wouldn’t have believed it if he hadn’t shown it to me.

Timing can’t be off, except by grossly mal-adjusting the breaker points or not having the throttle in the start position.

mikele86
                Participant
                  quote Bob D:

I would recheck the float to check its not flooding.
                  Had a Elto Pal that I was getting spark using a spark checker, but would not start. Turned out the plug was bad. Maybe new plugs?
                  Bob D

I’ve taken apart the carb 3 times now to replace the float.. the first couple times the flow wouldnt stop and gas was just leaking out. I got another float thats in good shape, tested it in water to make sure it wasn’t taking in any water, installed it and no more leaks.

The plugs are new as well

mikele86
                  Participant
                    quote Jeff Register:

How about a resistance check on the coils?

Coils, points and condensors are all new

mikele86
                    Participant
                      quote FrankR:

Never too old to learn, another member demonstrated to me how those things can be hard to start if not sitting level. If the lower unit is kicked out (like partially tilted), the primer fuel just runs out instead of into the rotary valve. Something to think about anyway. I wouldn’t have believed it if he hadn’t shown it to me.

Timing can’t be off, except by grossly mal-adjusting the breaker points or not having the throttle in the start position.

The motor couldnt be more level and the breaker points seem to be set right

jcrigan
                      Participant

Have you tried squirting some fuel mix into the spark plug holes and seen that it will pop that way?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.