Johnson Seahorse TN28 Timing off?

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Seahorse TN28 Timing off?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)

• mikele86

Replies: 24
    Topics: 7
    quote John C:

Have you tried squirting some fuel mix into the spark plug holes and seen that it will pop that way?

I’ve done this before the carb was working correctly and got no results. I am going to try this again tonight that I have the carb working.

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

I’m starting to suspect the fuel mix. Or you have plugs that won’t fire under compression. Maybe it’s time for some NGKs ?

mikele86

quote retiredoz:

I’m starting to suspect the fuel mix. Or you have plugs that won’t fire under compression. Maybe it’s time for some NGKs ?

I’ll check the fuel ratio again, if I can’t get anything after spraying starter fluid into the cylinders it has to be spark plug related. I will swap those out next. Any reference on which NGKs?

mikele86

quote mikele86:

quote retiredoz:

I’ll check the fuel ratio again, if I can’t get anything after spraying starter fluid into the cylinders it has to be spark plug related. I will swap those out next. Any reference on which NGKs?

Champion J6J are recommended back in 1952… NGK B6S are recommended today for replacement. I may already have these plugs 😐

gjonz

Replies: 184
    Topics: 17

Do not use starting fluid. it is no made for use on most two-strokes. I would replace the plugs with the correct Champion J-6C plugs and I’m betting things may fire.

Greg

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

OK, back to basics. You say it has an entire new ignition system and has spark. Define spark. Will it jump a 1/4" open air gap?

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

Have You checked out the Poche family website?
    http://pochefamily.org/outboard/

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

mikele86

Update: Completely wrong spark plugs… 😳 can’t believe it took me this long to notice the size difference from the original ones..purchasing the RIGHT pair tonight, I’m almost sure this thing will start right up now. will let everyone know. Thanks again for all the advice!!

mikele86

quote Steve A W:

Have You checked out the Poche family website?
    http://pochefamily.org/outboard/

Yes, this guy did an excellent job. I must of read through a few of his articles a dozen times by now. Thanks!

mikele86

quote gjonz:

Do not use starting fluid. it is no made for use on most two-strokes. I would replace the plugs with the correct Champion J-6C plugs and I’m betting things may fire.

Greg

You may be right Greg 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.