Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson serial number HP/year reference guide…?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

I think I know the answer to this, but does anyone know of a johnson serial number guide to identify HP/years?

Obviously you can use the ID plate on the transom bracket, but I run into a lot of transplant motors or ones where the ‘dog tag’ is gone (either the metal one, or…really?…the STICKER that is used on newer motors).

Im hesitant to even rely on orifice plugs in carbs due to how many folks like to try to turn smaller HP motors into bigger ones when they arent really meant for that with a simple carb swap.

Thanks gang.

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

My recollection is that Johnson serial nos are not associated with HP ratings, unlike Mercs. So the best you can get from serial no is year of manufacture…

chris-p
        Participant

Ive never seen one published, for the public. Never seen any pdfs or such floating around.

There is the small serial number guide, for Johnsons, in the Old Outboard Book, which covers years up to ’64.

johnyrude200
          Participant

Well serial #’s associated with years would be helpful at the very least. Help narrow down the field a bit.

I guess, other than warrantee reasons, not sure what the point of the numbers would be beyond that though.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Here is all you ever wanted to know about year of mfr. Well, almost. Imported ones not always included.
              http://www.skoterskroten.com/img/arsmodellstabell.pdf

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.