Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TN-28

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    tinkerman
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Finally got back around to putting my TN 28 back together (new pistons rings crank and gaskets) maybe I waited a little too long. I’m waiting on my coils to show up(Monday I hope) and was going thru and making sure I remembered where and how everything went. Got most of it ok but I’ve got two small springs that I’m stumped on I only see one in the carb diagram and it’s not clear where to connect both ends. Any help would be appreciated. The second one I. Not sure at all where it goes, I was thinking nutreul clutch? I’ve got it back together and it seems to be kinda spring loaded on its own. Anyway thanks for all the help

It's a jungle out there.

dave-bernard
      Participant

Got pics ?

tinkerman
        Participant

I’m posting a pic of the 2 springs and also the top portion of carb linkage as it’s hooked up now. Looks like something , a pin at least should go thru the brass tip maybe one of the springs but a spring there doesn’t look like it would control the linkage in any way only serve as a keeper

3083E4C6-4F53-49EC-98A3-B50B41E30241

97803D29-B161-417C-A145-080931AAF166

It's a jungle out there.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
          steveh
          Participant

Here are two photos showing spring locations. You might need to zoom in on the second one a little and the actual attachment points aren’t all that clear, but I hope it helps.

2013-03-23_05-37-45_569

2012-12-16_11-04-31_299

tinkerman
            Participant

The second pic with the neutral lever spring I got figured out thanks to the pic. The first pic looks like is of the bottom portion of the linkage and that little spring is on the lower part of my linkage as I never took it off however at the top of the linkage where it attaches via a small bracket to the little brass pin….. I’m not sure if a pin holds the linkage on or a spring. The spring I have left is approximately the same as the one that went on the neutral lever

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
              Participant

One question leads to another I’m waiting on a reply about the second spring but I got the coils in set the points and when I put the flywheel on with NO tension on the flywheel nut “something” is rubbing when I move the spark advance. I’ve moved the shoes of the coil as far as I can get them to go but still rubbing. I’m posting a pic does everything look right to the trained eyes?

19E791DB-9B65-42DF-A5D7-BDD06796D6FF

94F70EC1-C7C7-4FC0-BFBB-4B52369BC832

It's a jungle out there.

bobw
                Participant

Looks OK to me. Try putting a piece of masking tape over the exposed ends of the coil laminations, re-install the flywheel and spin it through several revolutions. Then remove the flywheel and look for any rub marks on the masking tape.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

tinkerman
                  Participant

Ok if you stay with it long enough and have patience it’ll come together. I had the wave washer installed incorrectly (on top instead of bottom) and it wasn’t allowing clearance on top of the coils. Still havnt got the final spring figured out and back to the drawing board on the carb it’s leaking fuel EVERYWHERE.

It's a jungle out there.

bobw
                    Participant

OK, never mind my last post. Glad you found the problem. I completely overlooked the rub marks on the top of the coils!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by bobw.
                      dave-bernard
                      Participant

in pic #2 is that rub marks on the plate?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.