Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson TN-28 questions and seeking out Lloyd for parts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    shoestringmariner
    Participant

Hey everyone, new member here.
      I recently picked up a couple of TN-28’s, neither of which run. The compression is so-so by gauge, though it seems pretty tight when I pull it over. (pop-pop). I’m afraid to open up the cyl head in fears I cannot locate a gasket. (Or can I make one??) I’m getting the feeling that I may have to make my own gaskets for everything else, in which case, what is the ideal material for this?

I’ve been reading up on various threads and how-to’s on these motors and it is my hopes that I can reach Lloyd here in the event that the leather seals are still available for sale. (PM did not seem to want to work) I’ve replaced the coils, and am about to open up the carb to go through it. Hoping to get it running well before I do a real resto. I’ve picked up the Sierra impeller and have it reamed and ready…cant wait to revive this little gem

Thanks in advance

chris-p
      Participant

Go through this article here! Will be very helpful.

Lloyds contact info is on here under the Carb Servicing section.

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

shoestringmariner
        Participant

Thanks, yes I did find that info, however I was unsure of the posting date and whether the address/pricing was current

bbstacker1
          Participant

US Member

I have got those head gaskets from here in the past http://www.vintageoutboard.com

shoestringmariner
            Participant

Oh, that is GOLD bb…thank you!

ggoldy
              Participant

Glad to see another 461 here, bbstacker1. Did not expect it.

bbstacker1
                Participant

US Member
                  quote ggoldy:

Glad to see another 461 here, bbstacker1. Did not expect it.

Yep, you just never know.

shoestringmariner
                  Participant

Cant believe how clean the inside of this carb is. No dirt, no varnish. I might try to run it and see if the leather seals hold up for right now.

I’m wondering if someone has been in this carb already. The needle valve (hi speed jet???) looks as if it has been buggered with. There’s a ring worn in around it’s taper and the straight section looks kind of beat up. The bore where it passes through the top of the carb is scored which is odd. Luckily I have a parts motor which I can pillage. That one is varnished up bad 🙁

Mumbles
                    Participant

Unfortunately, Lloyds health isn’t the best right now and I doubt if he will be able to help you out with the seals for a while. It’s probably in the best interest to let him rest.

There’s more information on the Green Board.

shoestringmariner
                      Participant

Thanks, I have heard, but I hadn’t considered that my update comment would make it appear that I was still trying to contact Lloyd.
                        My well wishes to better days ahead of course!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.