Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson VR-45 racing outboard – rotary valve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David McFarlane
    Participant

I am restoring my father’s Johnson VR- 45 racing outboard which was manufactured in 1929. To enable the restoration the rotary value which
      was damaged in a accident has to be replaced.I am seeking a member who could possibly help me with information, or a possible contact to secure this part.
      I live on a farm near Ballarat Victoria Australia.

David McFarlane

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Randy Reiniger in Tampa is the only one I know with parts for those Rotary Valve Johnsons . . .

Randy in Tampa
        Participant

I think I contacted you on Facebook, do you need the whole rotary valve or parts?

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

lloyd
          Participant

US Member

I hope he has a copy of the “Outboard Racer’s Handbook” so he can set up the proper rotary valve timing for desired low and high speed performance. The only spare rotary valve I have is for my already complete, restored and running PR. Don’t remember if that spare rotary valve or any of it’s parts are compatible with the VR rotary valve.

David McFarlane
            Participant

I need to replace the whole valve. We tried to re-cast a mold without success. See attached photos.

I’m not on Facebook.

David McFarlane
              Participant

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get a copy of the timing book. Do you know where I could find one on the internet? Thankyou.

lloyd
                Participant

US Member

The top plate and gear on my spare valve look the same as yours but your body and induction ports look larger. I can’t find my copy of the Outboard Racer’s Handbook right now. We moved 2 years ago and some of my files are disorganized. I don’t even remember where I got my copy about 10 years ago. Hopefully someone on this site will know where to get one. Lots of valuable information about compression ratios, appropriate fuels, rotary valve induction timing, etc.

Randy in Tampa
                  Participant

I don’t get your rotary valve has it been modified? the V 45 had a Johnson carburetor on it, that fit on it with a clamp that one appears to have an adapter welded onto it to fit the Vacturi AO 500 carburetor …🤔

Randy in Tampa
                    Participant

Also what is the diameter of the top gear?

David McFarlane
                      Participant

Re the Instruction book, I found my copy on the internet, and will look for the Outboard Racer’s Handbook. If you find yours, would it be possible to send a copy? I will pay postage and any other cost, of course.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.