Johnson VR-45 racing outboard – rotary valve

Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson VR-45 racing outboard – rotary valve

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ausf233 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    David McFarlane

Replies: 4
    Topics: 2

I am restoring my father’s Johnson VR- 45 racing outboard which was manufactured in 1929. To enable the restoration the rotary value which
    was damaged in a accident has to be replaced.I am seeking a member who could possibly help me with information, or a possible contact to secure this part.
    I live on a farm near Ballarat Victoria Australia.

David McFarlane

garry-in-tampa
    Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3204
    Topics: 30

Randy Reiniger in Tampa is the only one I know with parts for those Rotary Valve Johnsons . . .

Randy in Tampa
    Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 194
    Topics: 19

I think I contacted you on Facebook, do you need the whole rotary valve or parts?

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

lloyd
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 135
    Topics: 0

I hope he has a copy of the “Outboard Racer’s Handbook” so he can set up the proper rotary valve timing for desired low and high speed performance. The only spare rotary valve I have is for my already complete, restored and running PR. Don’t remember if that spare rotary valve or any of it’s parts are compatible with the VR rotary valve.

David McFarlane

I need to replace the whole valve. We tried to re-cast a mold without success. See attached photos.

I’m not on Facebook.

Attachments:
    David McFarlane

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get a copy of the timing book. Do you know where I could find one on the internet? Thankyou.

lloyd
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 135
    Topics: 0

The top plate and gear on my spare valve look the same as yours but your body and induction ports look larger. I can’t find my copy of the Outboard Racer’s Handbook right now. We moved 2 years ago and some of my files are disorganized. I don’t even remember where I got my copy about 10 years ago. Hopefully someone on this site will know where to get one. Lots of valuable information about compression ratios, appropriate fuels, rotary valve induction timing, etc.

Randy in Tampa
    Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year

I don’t get your rotary valve has it been modified? the V 45 had a Johnson carburetor on it, that fit on it with a clamp that one appears to have an adapter welded onto it to fit the Vacturi AO 500 carburetor …🤔

Randy in Tampa
    Randy in Tampa
    US Member - 1 Year

Also what is the diameter of the top gear?

David McFarlane

Re the Instruction book, I found my copy on the internet, and will look for the Outboard Racer’s Handbook. If you find yours, would it be possible to send a copy? I will pay postage and any other cost, of course.

Attachments:
    David McFarlane

Randy, You are correct. It IS a Vacturi carburetor. The gear diameter is approx 9.3 cm, with 35 teeth.

ausf233

Replies: 111
    Topics: 13

Hi Randy, although it’s been a while you might recall the rotary valve on my PR-50 bitsa is also very different from the standard unit. Seems that we have a lot of odd stuff here in Australia.

Hi David, I note that you live not far from Ballarat in Victoria, Australia. Do you know of a gentleman by the name of Dave Tatti in Delacombe/Ballarat? I’ve often used Dave to reproduce aluminium castings for my Vintage Outboards. He’s very good at what he does!

Feel free to give me a call if you wish 0488992839. I’m located in Aspendale, about half hour south of Melbourne, eastern side of the Bay.

Regards
    Spiro

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.