Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson VR-45 racing outboard – rotary valve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David McFarlane
    Participant

I am restoring my father’s 1929 Johnson outboard which powered his Hydroplane during the 1930s/40s. My father raced through out the south eastern states of Australia.The VR-45 was last raced in 1949, and was damaged in transit, in particular the rotary valve.
      I am looking for a replacement rotary valve, the letter and number on the rotary valve is D19
      Maintaining the authenticity of the outboard is very important to me.
      Details of any potentially helpful contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

David McFarlane

chris-p
      Participant

David please post pics of that beauty! There are a lot of rotary valve fanatics on here!

I have quite a few V45s, have not been fortunate enough to find a VR as of yet.

Fantastic!

Randy in Tampa
        Participant

Post pics for us please, what part of the rotary valve do you need, the whole thing? I may have a spare, what other parts do you need? Randy in Tampa😎

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

sydinnj
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No pictures handy , had a V45 but traded it away then picked up the last year of the V’s, not a VR but it was raced by uncle of the person who I got it from. I look forward to getting that one going.

David McFarlane
            Participant

Hi Randy, sorry I missed your post , I need the complete rotary value. We have tried casting a new one but found it too difficult to reproduce.

If you do have a complete rotary value to suit the VR-45 I would appreciate the opportunity to purchase it. If that is possible would you give me the details of cost including postage to Australia.

Regards, David

fmanracer
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

David, did you ever find a replacement valve for your VR -45 ? I have followed your post and it has been a while but I don’t read anywhere that you did get the parts your looking for.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.